Episode 71: Law Firm Succession Planning: Put a Process in Place Now! with Dave Roberts, CPA & Partner in Charge of Law Firm Services at Armanino LLP
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- How today’s legal environment is creating unexpected challenges for succession planning.
- Why it takes a minimum of five years to adequately plan for succession at a small firm.
- What steps to take to prepare for succession transitioning.
- What role legal marketing, business development and recruiting professionals play in the process.
- What obstacles many firms face when trying to prepare for leadership succession.
About David Roberts
Dave Roberts is a CPA and partner in charge of the Law Firm Services Group at Armanino LLP, one of the top 25 largest independent accounting and business consulting firms in the United States. He has more than 30 years of experience working with law firms of all sizes. He and his group have consulted with more than 1,200 law firms regarding strategic planning, partner compensation arrangements, succession planning, partner withdrawal and retirement, organizational reviews, profitability improvement, partner retreats, dissolutions, and mergers and acquisitions. Dave has authored numerous articles for the American Bar Association Journal and California Lawyer, and he co-authored “Financing the Start Up Law Firm,” published by the American Bar Association’s Law Practice Management section.