Stigma Surrounding Depression with Caroline Gomez
Accepting therapy is a process, especially when you grow up with stigma surrounding mental illness. In this episode I sit down with Caroline Gomez. We take a deep dive into her story of moving to the states from Puerto Rico and what that process looked like for her. We talk about how she had to hold onto her roots, and her culture in order to keep it alive and powerful.
She also shares with us her own journey towards counseling and how culturally any kind of mental illness is very much swept under the carpet and the belief of just toughing it out is very prevalent, but how some of those barriers are beginning to come down in this generation.
We also dive into how to respect ourselves and take time to love ourselves because oftentimes we are the only ones who will. Also how do we express that love to others, and allow others to deal with what they are going through and support them in that?
Please connect with us in our private Facebook Group: It’s All Mental Podcast. We would love to get to know you and support you on your mental health journey! Also if you have any questions or requests on future topics, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The importance of community.
- Moving from Puerto Rico to New York City.
- Dealing with the feeling of being powerless.
- The stigma around talking about mental health issues.
Connect with Caroline Gomez:
- Website: https://www.boriquepod.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/boriquepod/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/boriquepod
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/boriquepod
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bori-qu%C3%A9/id1527007460
Connect with us!
- Website: http://itsallmentalpodcast.com/
- Email: email@example.com
- Blog: https://www.pamelasmithlpc.com/blog
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/itsALLMental_Podcast/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/@itsAllMental2
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkXDNfncAtzyeumZsNz5tzQ
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/495592024600893/
- Ask ALEXA! Hey Alexa, play It’s All Mental Podcast
Subscribe to us on:
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/its-all-mental/id1477750773
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/7muFvGy3pdSuNj3W4ieudH
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/pamela-smith/its-all-mental
- Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkXDNfncAtzyeumZsNz5tzQ?reload=9
- Google: https://play.google.com/music/listen#/ps/Irte4mt2a4rty5rzve3nshpkjpu
The information presented is NOT a substitute for, the knowledge, skill, and judgment of qualified psychiatrists, psychologists, physicians and health care professionals. The information has been obtained from various sources believed to be accurate and reliable. However, Pamela Smith, LPC nor itsALLMental Podcast makes no warranty as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of this information. Should you have any health, medical or disability questions or concerns, please consult a physician or other health care professional. Information accessed on and through itsALLMental Podcast is provided "AS IS" and without warranty, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranty of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose.
If you believe you or another individual is suffering a mental health crisis or other medical emergency, contact your doctor immediately, seek medical attention immediately in an emergency room or call 911.
Always seek the advice of your mental health professional or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding your condition.
Our medium include[s] information and instruction relating to wellness topics, such as relationships, stress, depression, personal growth, etc. collectively, (“Our Content”). You acknowledge and agree that the following warnings and disclaimers shall apply to all of Our Content.
Do not use Our Content in lieu of professional advice given by qualified medical professionals and do not disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking professional advice because of information you have read on our blog, or received from us.
USA Crisis Text: 741-741Canada: 1-833-456-4566
United Kingdom: 116-123
International Suicide Hotlines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines