087: Why you should write short stories
In this episode of Indie Author Weekly, I want to share about my recent experience with writing a short story… and why I’ll be doing that on a monthly basis from now on.
I actually had plans to publish my next romcom, Small Town Stilettos, within the next few weeks. But about a month ago, I realized that I was putting unnecessary pressure on myself to hurry up and edit that book and then publish it. There are other aspects of my business that I also need to focus on, and if I prioritized Small Town Stilettos right now, I’d just be pulled in way too many directions all at once. So I decided that I needed to take a step back and slow down a bit.
I don’t know about you, but impatience is definitely a weakness of mine. I’ve been able to channel and reframe it into a strength in a lot of ways, because I’m very action-oriented… but I need to remind myself in these situations that it’s not a race, and that I don’t need to hustle every single day to get things done in a rush. So with that in mind, I’ll be working on Small Town Stilettos at a slower pace over the next couple months, and I’ll likely publish it in February or March.
In the meantime, you can learn more about that book and add it to your To Read list on Goodreads by searching “Small Town Stilettos”... I’ll also drop the link in the show notes of this episode.
Anyway, when I made that decision, I knew that I still wanted to work on creative writing projects on an ongoing basis. I wanted something smaller that I can complete quickly, without it taking a huge amount of time and energy out of my week, the way that full-length novels do. And that’s where the idea of writing short stories comes in…
TUNE IN to this episode to find out why I'm writing short stories (and why you should, too).
Resources & links mentioned in this episode:
- Get podcast and book updates delivered to your inbox at SaganMorrow.com/behindthescenes .
- Learn more about all of Sagan's books at SaganMorrow.com/books .
- Get more focused and disciplined with Productivity Powerhouse at SaganMorrow.com/powerhouse .
- Small Town Stilettos: add to your "To Read" list on Goodreads!
- Tune into Indie Author Weekly on your favourite podcast platform at SaganMorrow.com/podcast .
- Subscribe, rate and review this podcast on Apple Podcasts .
Let's chat about this episode:
- @Saganlives on Twitter and Instagram .
- Hashtag: #IndieAuthorWeekly .
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Share your thoughts (or submit requests for future episode topics) in this survey at SaganMorrow.com/question
Support the show (https://saganmorrow.com/secretpodcast)