086: 6 ways to deal with FOMO when everyone else is writing a book (and you aren't)
In this episode of Indie Author Weekly, I want to provide you with some reassurance, if you feel like everyone else is writing a book, and you aren’t.
We are currently in November, and every November is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo. It’s that time of year when people from all across the globe come together virtually to each write a 50,000 word novel in the space of just 30 days. It’s a super cool concept and it can be a very effective way to get that first draft on paper. I love the energy of NaNoWriMo—when you’re participating in it, you get to really be a part of a bigger community, with plenty of writing resources. It’s awesome.
But… what about if you aren’t participating in National Novel Writing Month? What about those times when it feels like everyone else is writing a book, and you aren’t?
I’ve taken part in NaNoWriMo probably about a half-dozen times, and every year when I don’t participate, I definitely feel some FOMO about it. That’s totally normal. It makes sense to maybe feel a little guilty that we aren’t writing a novel, when it seems like everyone else is doing it. It’s okay to wonder if maybe you should be doing it, too.
Here’s the thing, though: sometimes, the timing isn’t quite right. And as important as it is to prioritize book writing, we also can’t necessarily just drop everything to do it. Right? Right.
TUNE IN to this episode for 6 tips on how to deal with FOMO about (not) writing your book...
Resources & links mentioned in this episode:
- Get podcast and book updates delivered to your inbox at SaganMorrow.com/behindthescenes .
- Learn more about all of Sagan's books at SaganMorrow.com/books .
- Get more focused and disciplined with Productivity Powerhouse at SaganMorrow.com/powerhouse .
- National Novel Writing Month .
- Episode 83 of Indie Author Weekly: how to fit "writing a book" into your schedule .
- Tune into Indie Author Weekly on your favourite podcast platform at SaganMorrow.com/podcast .
- Subscribe, rate and review this podcast on Apple Podcasts .
Let's chat about this episode:
- @Saganlives on Twitter and Instagram .
- Hashtag: #IndieAuthorWeekly .
- Email email@example.com .
- Share your thoughts (or submit requests for future episode topics) in this survey at SaganMorrow.com/question
Support the show (https://saganmorrow.com/secretpodcast)