Podcast S4E100: The 1950 speech that started creativity research
See the full episode at https://wp.me/p6pllj-1B8
#creativity #psychology #research #jpguilford
Very rarely do we come across a specific moment where we can see an entirely new field of research begin.
However, on Sep 2-8, 1950, Joy Paul Guilford gave an impassioned speech as new president of the American Psychological Association where he introduced the need for more formal research into the previously vague field of creativity.
It was this speech which kickstarted the field of creativity research, pioneered by himself and other researchers like Paul Torrance, and led us to the world where we now have a much better understanding of what is happening when we have ideas.
In this podcast, I read the entire Journal article of his 1950s speech, titled "Creativity", so you can see where it all got started.
I warn you, it is nearly an hour long.
And some of the thoughts in it are very much of the time period he was in (for example, listen to how often Guilford mentions "he" and "him" instead of "she"...).
But it is fascinating to see how even back then, some of the fundamental ideas and challenges which still are affecting creativity today were already being talked about, like how school systems train children to give the correct answers, or even how computers will automate human thinking. Although these computers were so new at the time that Guilford refers to them as remarkable new thinking machines.
So if you want to be taken back in time to where it all started, get a nice warm cup of tea, put on your headphones, and watch the video of me reading it (above), or listen to the podcast here.
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
* Subscribe on iTunes to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/idea-to-value-creativity-innovation/id1199964981?mt=2
* Subscribe on Spotify to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/4x1kANUSv7UJoCJ8GavUrN
* Subscribe on Stitcher to the Idea to Value Podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=129437&refid=stpr
* Subscribe on Google Podcasts to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9pZGVhdG92YWx1ZS5saWJzeW4uY29tL3Jzcw
Want to rapidly validate new ideas and innovative products and GROW your online business?
These are the tools I actually use to run my online businesses (and you can too):
* The best email management and campaigns system: ActiveCampaign (Free Trial) http://www.activecampaign.com/?_r=M17NLG2X * Best value web hosting: BlueHost WordPress http://www.activecampaign.com/?_r=M17NLG2X * Landing pages, Sales Pages and Lead collection: LeadPages (Free Trial) http://leadpages.pxf.io/c/1385771/390538/5673 * Sharing & List building: Sumo (Free) https://sumo.com/?src=partner_ideatovalue * Payments, Shopping Cart, affiliate management and Upsell generator: ThriveCart https://improvides--checkout.thrivecart.com/thrivecart-standard-account/ * Video Webinars for sales: WebinarJam and Everwebinar ($1 Trial) https://nickskillicorn.krtra.com/t/lwIBaKzMP1oQ * Membership for protecting content: Membermouse (Free Trial) http://affiliates.membermouse.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=735 * eLearning System for students: WP Courseware https://flyplugins.com/?fly=293 * Video Editing: Techsmith Camtasia http://techsmith.z6rjha.net/vvGPv
I have used all of the above products myself to build IdeatoValue and Improvides, which is why I can confidently recommend them. I may also receive affiliate payments for any business I bring to them using the links above.