What Is A Friend? And the 4 Types of Friends We All Have
This is a pretty important episode, because I want to talk about this ONE question:
What is a friend, really?
A lot of people are walking through life focusing on what isn't there when it comes to friendship. There's somehow an arbitrary marker of “we are friends!” that I don't even think most people can articulate. The truth is, it doesn’t have to be so black and white.
There's so much value happening in our friendships before they hit whatever this arbitrary threshold is that we're ignoring.
If you’ve ever thought, “I wish I was closer to that person” or “Our friendship used to feel different!”, prepare to be inspired as I share the 4 types of friends we all have in our lives, and how we can come to appreciate all of these friends in their own unique ways.
In this episode you’ll hear about:
- Why we’re holding ourselves back from experiencing true friendships
- The difference between “Familiar Friends”, “Defined Friends”, “Present Friends”, and “Historic Friends”
- The beauty of taking small actions over time with our friends
- What emotional intimacy roots are and why they are key to sustaining close and supportive friendships
- Moving through the peaks and changes of friendships in our life, especially when one moves away or gets a new job
- Holding on to our friendships more loosely, vs. gripping on so tight
In which “bucket” do you have the most friends? Is there a small action you can take today to make a friend feel appreciated?
Resources & Links
Learn more about emotional intimacy roots on my blog.
Like what you hear? Visit my website, leave me a voicemail, and follow me on Instagram!
Want to take this conversation a step further? Send this episode to a friend. Tell them you found it interesting and use what we just talked about as a conversation starter the next time you and your friend hang out!