Friend Groups: How to Join a Friend Group or Create One
Friend groups get a lot of attention whenever I post about them on social media, and I’m not surprised. The group itself is like a story root. You feel like you BELONG inside it.
But what do we really KNOW about friend groups? Where did we learn about how they should operate? Sometimes they’re modeled to us, and sometimes, we imagine them to be what we see in books or TV shows.
So that’s what I’m tackling in today’s episode: how to join one, create one, strengthen one, and how to use them to enhance your life. I’m sure there will be more episodes on this topic, but today, I just wanted to lay down some thoughts.
In this episode you’ll hear about:
- The strength of a friend group – and how it’s actually based on the strength of the individual relationships and connections within it
- How to join an established friend group and become a more permanent member by taking initiative, showing up, contributing, and investing in the relationships
- The pros and cons of joining a group – for example, you don’t have to start from scratch, but you might feel behind! – and the evolutions friend groups go through
- Effort, energy, trial and error required to create a friend group – and the importance to remember other people might not be as invested, which is OK
- Utilizing open-ended invites – for example, “I’m going to the bar at 4 p.m. tomorrow; stop by if you want to!” – and making it something you were going to do anyways
- Picking an interest and creating a group around it – for example, a movie group!
Resources & Links
Like what you hear? Visit my website, leave me a voicemail, and follow me on Instagram!
Want to take this conversation a step further? Send this episode to a friend. Tell them you found it interesting and use what we just talked about as a conversation starter the next time you and your friend hang out!