3:01 Your Top 5 Cultural Appropriation Questions Answered
Cultural appropriation can be so confusing. We all want to learn about and celebrate other cultures while making sure we don’t cross any lines or embrace stereotypes and caricatures. In this episode I answer the 5 most common questions that I get from you about cultural appropriation. We cover everything from authentic cultural artifacts to costumes. This episode will bring you the clarity you need to make sure you are appreciating and not appropriating.
- When I ask cultural insiders about appropriation I always get different answers, how do I navigate that?
- How do I avoid appropriating when it comes to children's costumes?
- When is it acceptable to wear authentic cultural artifacts?
- How can I support the Black economy without appropriating?
- What do I do if I realize that I've been purchasing appropriated items?
Arizona’s ban on Mexican American studies was racist, U.S. court rules Arizona judge declares ban on ethnic studies unconstitutional
How to dress your Pākehā child up as Maui or Moana without appropriating Pasifika culture Please don’t tell your kids they can’t dress as Moana this Halloween
Opposition to my opinion on costumes:
Traditional Cultural Clothing:
Appropriation of Indigenous Culture
Alternatives to Freshly Picked Moccasins:
Song Credit: “Sleeper” by Steve Adams and “Dive Down” by VYEN