28. Why did Hitler and the Nazis hate Jewish people?
Our mission here is to help kids increase their awareness of a difficult issue but without causing nightmares. In the intro, we do go as far as to say that the Nazis killed six million Jews – because to ignore or deny that only helps Nazis. After that, we play safe. But, yes, this episode may be more relevant to older kids more than the 5-year-olds (who should definitely check out our first 19 episodes, at least – James was only 6 when we started recording material!).
And if you want to know why a Jewish boy wanted to join Hitler’s youth group, listen until the very end!
Read industry reviews of Dad’s new World War II Asia-Pacific novel, The Slightest Chance, at paulletters.com. It’s now out on Kindle for US$6.99, as well as in paperback. So is Dad’s first wartime novel, A Chance Kill, based on Dad’s granny’s escape from Poland during the war.
Here are some questions based on today’s episode:
1. When was Andy Factor born?
2. When did Hitler and the Nazis take over Germany?
3. What does ‘propaganda’ mean?
4. Who was Andy separated from at school?
5. What did Andy’s teacher do to Andy in front of the class?
6. Only, about 500,000 Jews lived in Germany, so how were the Nazis able to capture millions of Jewish people?
Please rate and review us wherever you get podcasts. And share our podcast on social media and recommend it to friends – that's how we'll keep going.
We’ll be back with a bonus episode NEXT WEEK – and then at the start of each month!
Podcast cover art by Molly Austin
Sound effects used under RemArc Licence. Copyright 2020 © BBC