Seeing the Bigger Picture with Michael McEvoy- CR61
Walking away from a family business comes with its own unique set of challenges and emotional dynamics. In this episode of Career Relaunch, Michael McEvoy shares his story of walking away from being a partner at a law firm, the same firm his father spent his entire career, to found his own public adjusting company. We discuss making time for those who matter in your life, the importance of following a path that makes you truly happy, the impact your career can have on the people in your life, and dealing with the judgements of others. During the Mental Fuel segment, I also explain how much your job satisfaction can affect your life outside of work.Key Career Insights
- When you walk away from a career you spent years creating, people will have different reactions to your decision, some positive, some negative. As long as you’re doing it for the right reasons, you have to stay focused on the upside it provides you in your life regardless of what others think.
- Even when you’re an adult, the judgement of your parents can still have an impact on your career decisions.
- Your family’s wellbeing can and should be a factor in any major decision you’re making in your career. Inevitably, it involves trade-offs.
- Letting go of your professional identity is never easy. It forms so much of who you are, so it’s completely natural to feel a sense of loss when you step away from it.
- Even if you’re not happy in your job, reflecting on what drew you to that path to begin with can be very useful. Certain elements of your job may still make you happy and could be worth carrying over into the next chapter of your career
- What Color is Your Parachute is the book Mike referred to in our conversation that helped him uncover where his interests were. I actually read this myself after college, and to this day, the book has informed how I’ve navigated my own career pivots over the years.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I challenged listeners to think carefully about the bigger picture of your life beyond work–specifically, one area of your life outside of work that’s recently taken a hit because of your work. Then, to decide what change you’re going to commit to making to at least START undoing that damage. It may mean you will need to make some sort of decision that inevitably involves some sort of a tradeoff that allow you to have the life you want outside of work.About Michael McEvoy
Mike McEvoy started his career as a licensed attorney in 2003, and spent the majority of his time with a large insurance defense firm in Los Angeles as an associate and then as a partner. Through his legal work, he discovered he had a passion for handling the damages side of wildfire litigation. He eventually walked from his career in 2015, unsure of what he was going to do next. After a lot of time and self-reflection, he found a new path as a public adjuster and business owner. In 2018, Mike founded Integral Adjusters, a public adjusting company, to help insurance policyholders protect their rights, navigate the insurance claim process, and maximize their benefits and financial recovery. Follow Mike on LinkedIn and Twitter.Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Michael know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
Built by linguists and language lovers, Grammarly’s writing app finds and corrects hundreds of complex writing errors — so you don’t have to. Career Relaunch listeners can download Grammarly for free by going to GetGrammarly.com/relaunch.