Reassessing Your Priorities with Jay Kali- CR53
How can you feel more empowered in your career? In this episode of Career Relaunch, Jay Kali, a former prison guard turned strength coach shares his thoughts on how adopting an empowered mindset and the relationship between hard work and luck. During the Mental Fuel® segment, I’ll explain why it’s important to take stock of how you’ve changed over time.Key Career Insights
- While your job may have suited you in the past, it doesn’t mean that same job will continue to suit the person you’ve evolved to become.
- The harder you work, the luckier you may get (building off a quote about the relationship between work and luck from film producer Samuel Goldwyn).
- You don’t necessarily have to change everything or make a drastic move to create the career and life you want. You could start small, doing something on the side, or testing the waters in a way that’s low-risk.
What's on the other side of fear? Nothing. Jamie Foxx Tweet This Resources Mentioned
- We discussed the Japanese concept of the Kaizen Principle.
- Jay is also really passionate about the Catch A Lift Fund that enables post 9/11 combat wounded veterans all over the U.S. to recover and rehabilitate both physically and mentally through physical fitness, motivation and support.
- We referred to the Growth Mindset, something we touched on in Episode 41 with Victoria Crandall.
- Jay has also graciously offered his book Educate, Demonstrate, Motivate for free to Career Relaunch listeners.
During this episode’s Mental Fuel segment, I talked about the importance of recognizing how much you’ve changed over time to help inform the next steps in your career.
My challenge to you is to think about the upcoming year (or 2 or 3) as a distinct chapter in you career. And if you were to name this chapter, what would it be called? What do you want it to be about? Is it about gaining more responsibility at work? Is it about achieving a certain level of visibility? Is it about something totally different outside of work? Like independence. Family. Fitness? Social life? Personal growth? Once you decide what you want to be about, take one action that focuses you on this priority.About Jay Kali, Strength Coach
Jay Kali is a Strength Architect who doesn’t just build better bodies, he helps build strong, empowered women. He’s motivated by a desire to help others take charge of their lives and become physically, mentally, and emotionally stronger. His major career pivot came when he decided to leave his government job as a Federal Law Enforcement Officer, sell all his stuff, and move to a city and a country he’d never seen or lived before in his life.Did You Enjoy This Episode? Please Let Us Know!
- Tweet: If you enjoyed this episode and have a few seconds to spare, Tweet to let me and Jay know!
Tweet a thank you!
- Review: I’d also love for you to leave a positive review and rating for the podcast on Apple Podcasts, which helps my show reach more people who want to relaunch their careers.
- Subscribe: Be sure to subscribe to Career Relaunch podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, or Android so you can automatically get each new episode on your device. Full instructions.
- Stay in touch: Follow Career Relaunch on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. You can also follow host Joseph on Twitter and Facebook.
If you have any lingering thoughts, questions, or topics you would like covered on future episodes, record a voicemail for me right here. I LOVE hearing from listeners!
Leave Joseph a Voicemail
You can also leave a comment below. Thanks!
A2 Hosting is the web host provider I use and trust for my own websites, and they even offer 100% carbon neutral green hosting. For an easy, fast, and affordable way to get your personal website online today, visit careerrelaunch.net/a2 to get 50% off your web hosting plan.