Adapting To Life's Challenges For Success - with Emily Hughes
Emily Hughes is passionate about making the exam years in education as stress-free as possible for both parent and child.
She runs the Parent Guide to GCSE, showing parents exactly how to support their children through the trials and tribulations of GCSEs and Post-16. In this episode, she shares the journey she has been on and how the experience and skills she has developed have led her to the creation of a venture that is her passion – helping parents and young people to successfully navigate the exam years that play such a key part in education.
Emily discusses seizing the opportunities and why a business mindset is vital if you want to make a difference.
- A business mindset is about learning it’s not about you it’s about others.
- You try different things and that’s how you learn.
- When you’ve been in a career for 15 years if can be difficult to make a career change.
- We realised there was no support for parents with teenagers.
- We created ‘The parent guide to GCSE’ and the membership is continuing to build.
- It’s the culmination of everything I’ve done my teaching skills and growing confidence have come together in this venture.
- I knew I wanted to be an entrepreneur who could be the master of my own business
- When you face challenges, it can be the opportunity to look for something different.
- If you can see things as an opportunity rather than a threat everything will be easier.
- Things are sent to us to shape us.
- You may not be able to see the positives initially but they are there it’s about seeing them.
- We would like to support every parent in the UK to support their children through exams with less stress and a better relationship afterwards.
- We want to take the pain out of education and exams
- We want to improve education from the outside in.
- It’s about seizing every opportunity and working out how later.
‘It’s important to do something that scares you a little every day’
‘Us working together from home was the ‘why’ we were working towards’
‘All the challenges you face are taking you closer to the person you are meant to be’
ABOUT THE GUEST
Emily Hughes is on a mission to make the exam years as stress-free as possible for both parent and child.
She runs the Parent Guide to GCSE, showing parents exactly how to support their children through the trials and tribulations of GCSEs and Post-16, because knowledge beats nagging, every time!
Since founding ParentGuidetoGCSE and ParentGuidetoPost16, Emily’s expertise has been sought after by thousands of parents through the ParentGuide Facebook groups.
Emily has been a regular contributor to the BBC via her appearances on local news programmes and radio. More recently she appeared on Good Morning Britain on GCSE results day as an expert to give advice to parents and their teenagers.
Emily is also the author of ‘GCSE Survival Guide for Parents’.
ABOUT THE HOST
Alex is a prize-winning chartered accountant with experience in financial markets from trading finance, capital hedging, structural foreign exchange and interest rates to operational risk from the world’s top financial and advisory institutions including Deloitte, RBS and JPMorgan Chase
Alex has been involved in property development programmes across different types since 2008, building and managing a portfolio that includes standard buy-to-lets, student accommodation and other houses in multiple occupancy (HMOs).
He specialises in raising finance, providing potential investors, investors and joint venture partners with ad hoc (to their specific requirements), hands-free and hassle-free property investments solutions as well as coaching and mentoring
Alex aspires to share business and financial knowledge with upcoming entrepreneurs and experienced business minds to learn and master the concepts and mindsets required to succeed, stand-out, have the edge and make a difference.
Alex is also a keen traveller, cyclist and photographer.
Twitter - @alex_sapala
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.