What Does it Take To Succeed in Adversity EP#079 - Somi Arian
Somi Arian is a speaker, entrepreneur and award-winning filmmaker specialising in the impact of technology on the digital native generations.
She has hosted and spoken at events for clients including the BBC, The Economist, Marie Claire, The Guardian, Amazon, HSBC, Virgin Atlantic, American Express, and many others. Her 2018 documentary The Millennial Disruption has been nominated for a number of international film festival awards, winning the Worldfest Houston Silver Remi award in 2019.
Here's a sneak peek at what you'll hear:
- Somi talks about her secret to always being on the cutting edge of business. Somi calls it her superpower. (This is a skill everyone in business must learn today, and not learning this skill will leave you a day late and a dollar short. That's putting it mildly. - 3:30)
- Somi describes a "certain mindset" that many a documentary maker has when filming that really sticks in her craw. - 5:00
- Why Somi explaining to people what she does is more difficult than explaining Brexit to a 5-year-old. - 6:10
- Somi talks about how she enjoys tough times, even now during covid 19 she seems to be as jolly as a shoe brush, despite her losing a staggering amount of business. (Is Somi some type of masochist? Find out at 8:00)
- Somi's never-before-talked-about (until now) concept she calls Transition Architecture. Sure… the name may not excite you, but... here's why it's now crucial you understand this concept explained at 9:10
- A little-talked about (potential) benefit of making a documentary. - 10:00
- The extremely unorthodox way Somi got a book deal. - 10:18
- The shocking number of books Somi has read over the last two years. This is proof that leaders are readers. - 10:30
- Den's excellent insight into reading that every extrovert should hear. Especially during covid 19. - 11:40
- Somi opens up about what it really takes to make a successful film. Hear the good, bad, and downright ugly truths at 12:30
- A little-known fact about Gary Vaynerchuk that may surprise you. This makes what he's achieved even more impressive. - 14:00
- Why Gary Vaynerchuk refused to endorse Somi's new book. 14:20
- Somi's refreshingly honest answer to the question: "What drives or motivates you?" - 21:40
Somi Arian is a multi-award winning filmmaker, tech philosopher, entrepreneur, speaker, Founder of Smart Cookie Media, and Co-Founder of Career Drive, the first online platform for millennials and Gen Z workplace training, which uses entertainment to teach emotional intelligence.
Somi’s Documentary, “The Millennial Disruption” was referred to as “disruptive in its very approach” on BBC5 Live, and features industry leaders from The Economist, Marie Claire, Bentley, Steinway, Jaguar Land Rover, Daniel Priestley, and Gary Vaynerchuk, to name a few.
Somi was chosen as a LinkedIn Top Voice and her thought leadership events attract C-Level executives of huge companies such as BBC, Channel4, HSBC, Silicon Valley Bank, Jimmy Choo, Ralph Lauren, Financial Times, Vanity Fair, Morgan Stanley and many others.
Connect with Somi on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/somiarian/
Preorder her book - 'Career Fear and How to Beat It' https://www.koganpage.com/product/career-fear-and-how-to-beat-it-9781789664621