TOMS Shoes: Standing for Tomorrow, the Case Study of a Trailblazing Brand (with Jessica Murray, Senior IP & CSR Director, Toms Shoes Inc. - posted initially on November 2019)
Many brands publicly support good causes, but it’s much less common for brands to build their core identity on the idea of "giving back." That is what makes the TOMS brand pretty unique, as its message, offer, and customer base were all from the outset based on philanthropic principles, notably with their famous “One for One” shoe-giving program. What made — and still makes — TOMS' brand strategy and implementation successful? What does innovation mean for a brand like TOMS, notably in terms of marketing and audience engagement, and in terms of corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives? And what are the legal challenges associated with these new ways of interacting with actual and potential clients?
In this episode initially posted in November 2019, we discuss TOMS’ innovative brand strategy with Jessica Murray, Senior CSR and IP Director at TOMS Shoes Inc., based in Los Angeles, California With TOMS since 2013, she has spent her career protecting brands across various sectors such as luxury goods and hospitality. She shares with us her perspective on brand enforcement, and more specifically how to foster consumer loyalty through meaningful principles and genuine commitment to social causes.
Every two weeks, on Tuesday, Brand & New gives the floor to inspiring individuals, with a 360-degree vision, to help brand owners, intellectual property lawyers, and marketing and finance professionals (and beyond!) stay curious and agile in an ever-evolving business environment.
Brand & New is a production of the International Trademark Association
Hosted by Audrey Dauvet
Contribution of M. Halle & S. Lagedamond - Music by JD Beats
FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT INTA.ORG
To go further:
About Jessica Murray (link to https://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/Tom_Shoes_IP_Director_Jessica_Murrey_Interview_7218.aspx)
- About TOMS' Stand For Tomorrow program (link to https://www.toms.com/impact)
Also of interest:
- INTA 2020 Annual Meeting & Leadership Meeting session (November 16, 2020) on "The Good Business of Sustainable Brands," moderated by Jessica Murray (link to www.inta.org/2020am)
- INTA Bulletin: Interview with Jessica Murray (link to https://www.inta.org/INTABulletin/Pages/Tom_Shoes_IP_Director_Jessica_Murrey_Interview_7218.aspx)
- About TOMS' founder, Blake Mycoskie (link to https://www.toms.com/blakes-bio)
- Forbes: What Retailers Can Learn About Social Responsibility From Toms and Patagonia (link to https://www.forbes.com/sites/tinamulqueen/2019/01/24/what-retailers-can-learn-about-social-responsibility-from-toms-and-patagonia/)
- INTA Daily News (page 6): Making the World a Better Place (link to https://www.inta.org/PDF%20Library/2019Daily/2019DailyNews_Day3.pdf)
- INTA 2020 March Conference, Brands in Society: Their Influence and Responsibility (link to https://www.inta.org/Programs/Pages/INTA-2020-Educational-Events-and-Programs.aspx)