298 - The Bardstown Bourbon Company Experience with Dan Callaway and Nick Smith
On today's show, we get to feature two great people at Bardstown Bourbon Company, Dan Callaway and Nick Smith. Bardstown Bourbon Company exploded on the scene as a destination hot spot for anyone visiting the trail and Dan was instrumental to the early success of creating a red carpet environment for anyone who visited. As whiskey production ramped up, Nick Smith brought his knowledge from working at Jim Beam to help customers create custom mash bills and guide them in the right direction to put a new spin on the distillation process that would be uniquely theirs. So next time you're headed to Bardstown, don't forget to make Bardstown Bourbon Company a must visit.
- The University of Louisville has an online Distilled Spirits Business Certificate that focuses on the business side of the spirits industry. Learn more at uofl.me/bourbonpursuit.
- Minimize drink dilution without sacrificing chill power with Meltdown, the ultimate ice ball press. Learn more at MeltdownIce.com.
- Upgrade your sleep today with a Bear Mattress. Visit BearMattress.com/bourbon.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Get 15% off your purchase when you order two or more bottles of Firebee Honey at FirebeeHoney.com/BourbonPursuit.
- Fling into spring at Total Wine & More. Always at low prices in-store or online at TotalWine.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick talks about bourbon branded credit cards.
- What made you decided to come work at Bardstown Bourbon Company?
- What was the original vision for Bardstown Bourbon Company and how has it changed?
- Are banana croquettes a real thing?
- What lessons did you learn coming from Jim Beam to Bardstown Bourbon Company?
- How do you accommodate so many different mash bills?
- How do you work together?
- Is there a baseline for the mash bills?
- Are there any limitations on the mash bills?
- How do you guide customers to different cooperages?
- Do you help brands with marketing and packaging?
- Can this be a tourist destination for brands that contract through you?
- Tell us about the Discovery Series.
- Talk about the vintage library.
- What is the timeline for the bottling facility?
- How much of the distillery process is automated?
- What's a changeover?
- What is Pete's Place?
- Tell us about the Kentucky Proud product.
- Follow @bbc_whiskeynick, @dannybardstown, @bardstownbourboncompany