Episode 96: Common Garden Pests with Nadia from Urban Farm Sista and Agricademy
I’m thrilled to welcome Nadia of Urban Farm Sista to the show today to discuss garden pests and her mission with the Agricademy. Nadia is the plant lady behind several amazing businesses and planty projects including the Urban Farm Sista Educational Social Media Platforms, Quiwi Produce and Agricademy. She graduated from Ohio State in 2005 with a bachelor’s degree in Agriculture where she majored in Animal Sciences/minored in Entomology. Entomology is bugs, plant friends and today we do a DEEP DIVE into the common garden pests and insects that we struggle with and learn how to identify and treat them. I appreciate this conversation with Nadia because she helps us zoom out and understand our gardens as a full ecosystem. In gardening, it's always important to "zoom out" and see the larger picture, this conversation very much illustrates that!
Check out the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show!
What we learn:
- How Nadia became the founder of Quiwi Produce, the Agricademy and Urban Farm Sista
- Why Nadia chose to get a degree in Entomology (studying insects!)
- How to differentiate a "good" vs a "bad" insect
- Zooming out and understanding the garden as an ecosystem and why insects are important
- Why Hemp is important (beyond CBD and Cannabis)
- Most common garden pests: how to identify and treat them
- Aphids and Ants (Minute 36:00)
- Caterpillars (Minute 48:25)
- Leaf Beetles (discussed throughout the episode)
- Leaf Miners (Minute 1:00)
- Wasps (1:03)
- Recipe for pest control spray
- Why and how does Neem oil work
- What is BT Bacteria
- What is Diatomaceous Earth
- Why and how to use Insect Nets
- Does releasing predatory bugs outdoors work?
- Nadias non profit: Agricademy
- Its mission
- the Food is Essential project
Recipe for Nadias Neem Spray: Found in her amazing Insect Investigator PDF
Bacillus thuringiensis - Information on BT Bacteria
Diatamaceous Earth / Flea Beetles - https://youtu.be/PQ222Sa6XXIInsect Net- She discusses insect nets in her video on Catepillars Peterson Field Guide to Insects*: Nadia's recommended insect anthology
*Bloom and Grow Amazon Affiliate Code*
Thank you to this weeks episode sponsors: Makespace makes storage simple, seamless and affordable without you EVER having to leave your apartment. They pick up, store and return your stuff and provide the packing materials! To learn more, visit makespace.com and use code SPACEPLZ for $100 off! Espoma Organics: for responsibly made, fabulous indoor and outdoor organic soils, fertilizers, pest control sprays and more visit espoma.com to find your local dealer or check out my amazon storefront of my favorite Espoma products here.
Amazon Storefront -https://www.amazon.com/shop/urbanfarmsistaDonate to Farming is Essential Project
Cash App: $agricademyinc
Mail Donations to: Agricademy Inc. 8711 Reading Road Cincinnati, OH 45215(checks payable to Agricademy Inc.) Follow Maria and Bloom and Grow Radio:
Take the Plant Parent Personality Test!: Unlock your Plant Parent Potential by taking the test below and get curated recommendations for plants, projects and resources inspired by your lifestyle.
Support Bloom and Grow Radio by becoming a Plant Friend on Patreon!
Instagram and Facebook: @BloomandGrowRadio
Subscribe to the Bloom and Grow Youtube Show! /Bloomandgrowradio
Join the (free) Garden Club: www.bloomandgrowradio.com/garden-club