293 Christine Walker, Jamaica Ladies: Female Slaveholding in Jamaica
How did Jamaica grow to become the "crown jewel" of the British Atlantic World?
Part of the answer is that Jamaica’s women served as some of the most ardent and best supporters of the island’s practice of slavery.
Christine Walker, an Assistant Professor of History at the Yale-NUS College in Singapore and the author of the award-winning book, Jamaica Ladies: Female Slaveholders and the Creation of Britain’s Atlantic Empire, leads us on an investigation of female slave holder-ship in 17th and 18th-century Jamaica.
Show Notes: https://www.benfranklinsworld.com/293 Join Ben Franklin's World!
- Omohundro Institute
- Get 40 percent off of Jamaica Ladies with code 01BFW
- The Ben Franklin's World Shop
- Episode 008: Gregory O’Malley, Final Passages
- Episode 036: Abigail Swingen, Competing Visions of Empire
- Episode 070: Jennifer Morgan, How Historians Research
- Episode 236: Daniel Livesay, Mixed-Race Britons & Atlantic Family
- Episode 282: Vincent Brown, Tacky’s Revolt
- Apple Podcasts
- Google Podcasts
- Amazon Music
- Ben Franklin's World iOS App
- Ben Franklin's World Android App