76 | Dismantling Colorism with Dr. Sarah L. Webb of Colorism Healing
Dr. Sarah L. Webb is currently an Assistant Professor in the department of English and Modern Languages at the University of Illinois Springfield. Dr. Webb first wrote publicly about colorism in the summer of 2011 in a post titled: “Colorism: 5 Reasons I Haven’t Said Much… Yet.”
After seeing the interest, positive responses, and negative reactions to her early writing on colorism, Dr. Webb recognized the need for a dynamic platform dedicated entirely to this issue. She also saw the need to focus on solutions, and so she launched the blog Colorism Healing in July 2013.
The goals of Colorism Healing are to raise critical awareness about colorism as a global issue by providing a hub of information and resources, foster individual and collective healing as well as systemic solutions by producing, facilitating, and curating creative and critical work.
In this episode, we talk about…
- The history of colorism, and its roots in anti-blackness.
- Understanding systemic inequalities that stem from colorism.
- How to navigate gaslighting in relation to colorism.
- Ways we can build trust and strengthen sisterhood among Black women of all skin tones.
- The intersection of colorism and patriarchy.
- Healing from the effects of colorism.
- Visit the Colorism Healing website
- Follow Dr. Sarah L. Webb on Twitter: @drslwebb
- Follow Colorism Healing on Instagram: @colorismhealing
- The Colorism Healing Writing Contest 2020
Balanced Black Girl Partners:
- BLK+GRN | Use code BBG20 for 20% off at com
- Methodology | Use code BALANCEDBLACKGIRL for 20% off your first Methodology shipment
- Organifi | Use the code BBG for 15% off Organifi supplements
- Peak and Valley | Use the discount code balancedblackgirl for $5 off your order of adaptogen blends
PS: If you really want to take your year to the next level, download our free glow-up guide. This free guide has everything you need to implement a self-care practice that works. You’ll get daily journal worksheets, inspiring quotes, affirmations, and a bonus workout. Get the guide HERE.