Extreme Road Trip: Alaska to Argentina with Overlanding Expert Dan Grec
40,000 miles, two years and 17 countries: travel across the Americas from Alaska to Argentina with overlanding expert Dan Grec. This is one of the world's most epic road trips and we have a front row seat.
The term 'Overlanding' refers to self-reliant expedition style adventures, usually in 4x4 vehicles and to remote locations. Think of it like extreme road tripping. Just about anywhere in the world is open for overland adventures, but the following the Pan American Highway from the far north of Alaska to Cape Horn on the southern tip of Argentina is considered by many to be the ultimate trip.
And we're in good company for it. Dan Grec is one of the world's leading overlanding experts and the author of 'The Road Chose Me Volume I & II', which chronicles two of his favourite expeditions, including this one. His You Tube channel, also called The Road Chose Me, is one of the world's leading resources for overland travel. Visit the episode page for more details: https://www.armchair-explorer.com/post/extreme-road-trip-alaska-to-argentina-with-overlanding-expert-dan-grec
But not only does Dan Grec know his stuff, he also knows how to tell one hell of a story. This is about one of the most extreme road trips on the planet. It's about the incredible scenery, people and adventures he passed along the way. But it's also about what he learned from 40,000 miles on the road. Before he set off, Dan Grec was just an ordinary guy with a crazy dream. He made it come true: so can you.
- Hiking to the 'Magic Bus' in the backcountry of Alaska to visit the final resting place of Chris McCandless, whose life was chronicled in the book and film 'Into the Wild'.
- Trekking to the smoking crater of the Pacaya Volcano in Guatemala, seeing lava close enough to touch, close enough to smell the sulphur burning, to melt the soles of your shoes
- Driving across the Salar de Uyuni, the Bolivian salt flats, a mesmerising 3,681 square mile stark white plain and a true wonder of the world
- Finding 'Hell on Earth' in a Bolivian silver mine: Potosi, known locally as "the mountain that eats men", where life expectancy is less than 45 years old
- Exploring Ecuador and climbing the Cotopaxi Volcano
- Reaching the 'Ends of the Earth' in southern Patagonia, driving to the end of the road and walking into the sea
Benefits to you:
- Learn Dan's top tips for planning your own overland adventure
- Be inspired to make your own travel dreams come true, no matter how big or small
- Discover the lessons that Dan Grec learned after 40,000 miles on the road
- Hear Chris McCandless' story, and how it inspired Dan to break out of the mold, and live a more purposeful and intentional life
- Find out Dan Grec's secret to living a truly free life
Connect with Dan Grec and find out everything you need to know about overlanding at:
You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkyky5zC8R1Gi6YeeCR6BDg
BOOK THIS TRIP
Please visit the individual episode pages of the Armchair Explorer website to find out how you can do this journey, and others inspired by it: www.Armchair-Explorer.com ... or get in touch with Dan directly on any of the links above
The Armchair Explorer: the world's greatest adventurers tell their best story from the road. Instagram @AaronMWriter / Facebook: @armchairexplorerpodcast