The Recovery Show » Finding serenity through 12 step recovery in Al-Anon – a podcast
About This Show
12-step recovery for those of us who love alcoholics or addicts. We share our experience, strength, and hope as we use the principles of the Al-Anon program in our lives. We talk openly and honestly about the problems and challenges as we face alcoholism and addiction in our friends and relatives. We share the tools and solutions we have found that let us live a life that is serene, happy, and free, even when the alcoholic or addict is still drinking or using.
Most Recent Episode
Courage – Episode 220 - The Recovery Show » Finding serenity through 12 step recovery in Al-Anon – a podcast
3 days ago
How have you experienced courage in your recovery? Which steps required courage of you? How has recovery given you courage to change the things you can?
* We use the word “courage” a lot in this program. Most of our meetings start with the serenity prayer:
God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference
* What does the word “courage” mean to you?
* In the past?
* When were some moments in which you found “the courage to change the things you can”?
* Coming into your first Al-Anon meeting?
* Sharing in a meeting?
* Calling another Al-Anon member?
* Asking someone to be your sponsor?
* Setting (and holding to) a boundary?
* Not enabling your loved one.
* Taking your 4th step inventory?
* Sharing your “wrongs” with someone in the 5th step?
* Making amends?
* How have you found courage in recovery?
* Faith and trust in the program, sponsor, higher power.
* Little steps lead to confidence in bigger steps.
* Finding the courage live your own life with your authentic truth. (24 hours at a time.)
* Step 11 “power to carry that out” == courage
Upcoming topics include parenting. As an adult child of an alcoholic, how can you not pass that on to your own children? What have you learned in recovery about being a better parent? Or, alternatively, what is your experience as the parent of an alcoholic or addict? Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
A listener called, looking for an e-book version of the Blueprint for Recovery 4th step workbook. To my knowledge, this is not (yet) available in electronic format. Some Al-Anon literature is available as E-Books. A variety of small publications are also available for free download from the Al-Anon website.
Music from the show
The Killers: Rut
Fleetwood Mac: Landslid
Rated 5 out of
Recharging Your Recovery
I love the shows stimulating topics with all the calming effects of saying The Serenity Prayer over and over. I'm so glad my friend told me about STITCHER.
Date published: 2013-12-09