The Mastering Show
About This Show
This is the show where we cover all aspects of mastering. If you're interested in mastering, want to learn how to get better results mastering your own music, or even want to be a mastering engineer, this is the show you want to hear.Read more »
Most Recent Episode
The Mastering Show #53 - Fear Of Bass
We all want great low end - deep, fat, solid and punchy. But it can be one of the hardest thongs to get right - especially knowing how much of it is needed. Too much bass can sound boomy, flabby, muddy or dull.
And as a result, it’s easy to be scared of bass. It’s easier to be cautious and avoid all those possible problems, right ? Well, maybe. Except if the low end isn’t working in your master, you risk the opposite problem - everything can sound weak, thin and harsh.
In this week’s episode we talk about ways to avoid all these problems, including:
Topics we cover include:
* The one thing you shouldn’t do - and why
* The deceptively simple thing you should always do
* Will a sub-woofer help, or hinder ?
* How EQ for better bass can sometimes make things worse - because phase
* Dynamic EQ versus multiband compression
* How distortion might help
* Ah, duck it
http://themasteringshow.com/episode-53Read more »