Stitcher for Podcasts

Get the App Open App
Bummer! You're not a
Stitcher Premium subscriber yet.
Learn More
Start Free Trial
$4.99/Month after free trial
HELP

Show Info

Episode Info

Episode Info: This is an episode Jim and Jan have never done before! They are featuring a previous episode with General Stanley McChrystal because they will be interviewing the General along with author Dan Pink live on February 7th. After listening, let Jim and Jan know if you have questions you’d like them to ask Dan and Stan!    General Stanley McChrystal shares his thoughts and insights on leadership and service in the modern era. General McChrystal is the best selling author of Team of Teams, and Co-Founder and Managing Partner of The McChrystal group. He talks with Jim and Jan about the importance of a classical education, the sacrifice leaders must make in their lives, and why it’s up to the government and business to create challenging opportunities for the younger generation. He shares his unique perspective on the similarities and differences of leading and teaming in business and in the military. He concludes with his thoughts on national service, education, and his recipe for more constructive discourse.   Key Takeaways [1:20] There’s going to be some exciting live content with General Stanley McChrystal and Dan Pink this February 7th! Do not miss it! [2:55] Jim and Jan offer their thoughts and insights after listening to this episode for the second time. [6:15] Regarding millennials, the talent is there! What’s different is that our community bonds have grown smaller and are more self-focused, making it difficult to find a clear path of how and where to make a contribution. [7:40] Although we are in a time where much service is needed from young people, only 30% of younger people in the United States are qualified and eligible to enlist in the military.  General McChrystal poses the thought of government and business sharing the responsibility to create opportunities for the other 70% of those that still have a desire to contribute. [8:40] The Civilian Conservation Corps of the Depression Era was a program created to give young men the opportunity to make money, earn confidence, and get a sense of self-satisfaction. Many of those men went on to serve in World War II. [9:25] General McChrystal feels it is his generation’s responsibility to create opportunities for youth through funding, education, and business. At the McChrystal group, they value service and community involvement. If you have completed a year of national service, your resume gets a more detailed review. [10:50] General McChrystal discussed how we must create an incentive for businesses to hire employees based on their potential and values — rather than just looking for professionals who already have the skills and need little training. [12:50] In addition to General McChrystal’s famous ascetic lifestyle, he is still learning, growing, and studying every day. [13:10] People skills and a strong work ethic as two of the benchmark qualities that make for a good business leader. [14:45] General McChrystal had preconceived notions of the business world, while his collea...
Read more »

Discover more stories like this.

Like Stitcher On Facebook

EMBED

Episode Options

Listen Whenever

Similar Episodes

Related Episodes