The K12 Engineering Education Podcast
About This Show
Promoting education in engineering and design for all ages. Produced by Pius Wong, engineer, of Pios Labs (www.pioslabs.com).
This podcast is for educators, engineers, entrepreneurs, and parents interested in bringing engineering to younger ages. Listen to real conversations among various professionals in the engineering education space, as we try to find better ways to educate and inspire kids in engineering thinking. For episode transcripts and more information, visit: www.k12engineering.net
Topics include overcoming institutional barriers to engineering and STEM in K12, cool ways to teach engineering, equity in access to engineering, industry needs for engineers, strategies for training teachers, "edtech" solutions for K12 classrooms, curriculum and pedagogy reviews, and research on how kids learn engineering knowledge and skills. Thanks for listening!
Most Recent Episode
Coding Python in Middle School
5 days ago
How can you bridge the gap between teaching simpler visual programming tools and teaching more complicated textual programming tools? Julia Lamorelle’s answer is Python. Julia cofounded Kiwi Compute, a new education business that focuses on teaching middle school kids how to code in Python, a language widely used in academia and industry today. She talks about why Kiwi Compute has this education strategy and how it executes it, despite challenges in setting up a Python environment and attracting qualified teachers.
Mentioned in this episode:
• Kiwi Compute: https://www.kiwicompute.com/
• Python language: https://www.python.org/
• Scratch: https://scratch.mit.edu/
• Hour of Code: https://hourofcode.com/
• App for Python in a browser: http://app.kiwicompute.com/
• Learn Python the Hard Way: https://learnpythonthehardway.org/
• Code Academy: https://www.codecademy.com/
• Code.org: https://code.org/
• GigaTECHs winners announcement from the City of Austin: http://mailchi.mp/austintexas/us-ignite-and-city-of-austin-announce-gigatechs-winners?e=6befcb85d0
• GigaTECHs winners press conference: http://austintx.swagit.com/play/09212017-566
Our closing music is called “Katana” by Miros, used with permission, and you can find more tracks by Miros on SoundCloud, user “mirossound”: https://soundcloud.com/mirossound
Subscribe and find more podcast information at: http://www.k12engineering.net. The K12 Engineering Education Podcast is a production of Pios Labs: http://www.pioslabs.com. Support Pios Labs at: https://www.patreon.com/pioslabs
Also check out these projects from Pios Labs:
• Guidebook “Engineer’s Guide to Improv and Art Games” by Pius Wong, on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other retailers: http://www.pioslabs.com/improv4design.html