The K12 Engineering Education Podcast
About This Show
Promoting education in engineering and design for all ages. Produced by Pius Wong, engineer, of Pios Labs (www.pioslabs.com).
This podcast is for educators, engineers, entrepreneurs, and parents interested in bringing engineering to younger ages. Listen to real conversations among various professionals in the engineering education space, as we try to find better ways to educate and inspire kids in engineering thinking. For episode transcripts and more information, visit: www.k12engineering.net
Topics include overcoming institutional barriers to engineering and STEM in K12, cool ways to teach engineering, equity in access to engineering, industry needs for engineers, strategies for training teachers, "edtech" solutions for K12 classrooms, curriculum and pedagogy reviews, and research on how kids learn engineering knowledge and skills. Thanks for listening!
Most Recent Episode
Road to Civil Engineering
6 days ago
What’s it like to engineer roadways and the physical infrastructure of society? Guest Jerel Rackley, P.E., explains. Jerel is a civil engineer with the design and consulting firm Atkins, and in his fourteen years of experience in the field, he has seen what it takes to succeed. Hear him talk about taking the Professional Engineer (P.E.) exam, working with clients, the importance of people skills, the future of advanced 3D modeling in civil engineering, and more.
Mentioned in this episode:
• Atkins: http://www.atkinsglobal.com/en-GB
• Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam, for Professional Engineer licensure: http://ncees.org/engineering/pe/
• Microstation CAD software: https://www.bentley.com/en/products/brands/microstation
• Geopak road design software: https://www.bentley.com/en/products/product-line/civil-design-software/geopak-civil-engineering-suite
• Texas Department of Transportation: https://www.txdot.gov/
• Central Texas Mobility Authority: https://www.mobilityauthority.com/
• US-183 South roadway project: https://www.183south.com/
• OpenRoads 3D design software: https://www.bentley.com/en/products/brands/openroads
Mentioned in the post-show notes:
• Vote for our session at SXSW Edu Panelpicker! “Podcasting for Education Meetup”: http://panelpicker.sxsw.com/vote/71654
Our closing music is from "Late for School" by Bleeptor, used under a Creative Commons Attribution License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0. Subscribe and find more podcast information at: http://www.k12engineering.net. The K12 Engineering Education Podcast is a production of Pios Labs: http://www.pioslabs.com. Help Pios Labs continue! You can donate at: https://www.patreon.com/pioslabs
Also check out these projects from Pios Labs:
• Engineering Word Of The Day (EWOTD) podcast: http://engineeringwordoftheday.com
• Guidebook “Engineer’s Guide to Improv and Art Games” by Pius Wong, on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other retailers: http://www.pioslabs.com/improv4design.html