The 1% Better Podcast
About This Show
If you’re of a curious disposition, have a positive outlook, are devoted to, or even have a passing interest in making yourself a little bit better (let’s set the bar low and aim for 1%) then I’m very hopeful you’ll enjoy listening to my podcast.
Most Recent Episode
Andrew Montague on the Dublin Bike Scheme, Lord Mayor 24x7, and Career Next Steps! EP44
2 days ago
In this Episode, I interview Andrew Montague.
Andrew is an Irish Labour Party politician and member of Dublin City Council. He is a former Lord Mayor of Dublin. He proposed the Dublin Bike Scheme in 2004 which was launched in 2009 and credited as one of the most successful public bike schemes in Europe.
During our hour+ long conversation, I learn a lot about what drives and motivates Andrew Andrew is the first politician on the show and it was a great treat to talk with him. You will very clearly see how much of a genuine, humble and warm guy Andrew is and I’m sure you’ll enjoy his story. What really struck me from the conversation was the real palpable reward that Andrew gets from his work in politics as he’s working on issues that are facing all of us. Andrew talks about launching his campaign to run in the next general election in October and discusses the official launch and working toward this goals and objectives with Social Welfare, Crime, Housing just to name three.
Some of the topics we covered were:
• Andrew growing up and having a huge interest in the News. With both his parent from Ulster, Andrew developed a keen interest in the Northern Ireland Troubles and talks about his interest in in the SDLP in those days with the likes of Austin Curry and John Hume at the forefront.
• Specifically getting into Politics with his brother in the 80s. But didn’t join the party until 2002 realising it was time to get involved.
• Talking to people canvassing and being willing to listen to the public. Successful Politicians have the listening skill.
• In 2004, Andrew was successful in his first campaign.
• Submitted the idea of the Dublin Bike Scheme in 2004 and this became his major focus in the coming years. Learning from the successful schemes in Copenhagen and other European Cities. Overcoming oppositions from other parties in the early stages. Andrew learned a lot from this. Winning battles during this period helped gained credibility.
• Reflecting back on the importance of having a champion/mentor in politics in the early stages of his career.
• Using & Developing Influencing & Negotiating skills to get things done!
• Passion for reading, learning, identification of solutions to problems in housing and crime. Being always on the look-out to tackle problems.
• Feeling like an Entrepreneur taking ideas and running with them.
• The Lord Mayor of Dublin Appointment and the Experience and Learning during the year