About This Show
The Recompiler is a feminist hacker magazine and podcast, launched in 2015. Our goal is to help people learn about technology in a fun, playful way, and highlight a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 57: Do we have to do more Facebook?
6 days ago
This week Audrey and I chat about Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg’s testimony to Congress, the Fuse payment card hack, encrypted DNS, and more. Enjoy!
Complete show notes:
- [00:54] Heartifacts - Use the code media-RECOMPILE for 20% off registration: https://codeandsupply.co/heartifacts
- [01:47] The Responsible Communication Style Guide is headed back to the printers! - Reserve your copy today!: https://rcstyleguide.com/2018/03/08/the-responsible-communication-style-guide-is-headed-back-to-the-printers/
- [02:40] Why Mark Zuckerberg’s 14-Year Apology Tour Hasn’t Fixed Facebook | WIRED: https://www.wired.com/story/why-zuckerberg-15-year-apology-tour-hasnt-fixed-facebook/
- [05:14] We May Own Our Data, But Facebook Has a Duty to Protect It | The New Yorker : https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/we-may-own-our-data-but-facebook-has-a-duty-to-protect-it
- [07:58] How Much Would You Pay For Ad-Free Facebook?: https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexkantrowitz/heres-what-an-ad-free-facebook-could-cost
- [10:17] David Carroll on Twitter: "Did you notice #Zuckerberg attempts to redefine the very definition of “privacy” as what we share, not what he collects?": https://twitter.com/profcarroll/status/984413399839854597
- [16:39] After Facebook hearing, senators roll out new bill restraining online data use - The Verge: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/10/17221046/facebook-data-consent-act-privacy-bill-markey-blumenthal
- [16:56] Stefan Becket on Twitter: "Photo of Zuck's notes, by AP's @andyharnik… ": https://twitter.com/becket/status/983846618263891968
- [17:56] Whatever you do, don’t give this programmable payment card to your waiter | Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/whatever-you-do-dont-give-this-programmable-payment-card-to-your-waiter/
- [22:31] How to keep your ISP’s nose out of your browser history with encrypted DNS | Ars Technica: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/04/how-to-keep-your-isps-nose-out-of-your-browser-history-with-encrypted-dns/
- [29:58] FTC Says 'Warranty Void If Removed' Stickers Are Bullshit, Warns Manufacturers They're Breaking the Law - Motherboard : https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc
- [35:05] Oregon Governor Signs Net Neutrality Bill Alongside the Middle Schoolers Who Fought for Its Passage : https://gizmodo.com/oregon-governor-signs-net-neutrality-bill-alongside-the-1825107042
- [38:47] Tor Code of Conduct: https://gitweb.torproject.org/community/policies.git/tree/code_of_conduct.txt
- [39:38] The Voynich Manuscript : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive: https://archive.org/details/TheVoynichManuscript