Engaging Gospel Doctrine (Mormon Sunday School - LDS)
About This Show
Mormon Stories Sunday School is a supplementary and preparatory resource that models substantive, engaged, and informative approaches to learning and teaching the scriptures and gospel.
Most Recent Episode
255: Brigham Young and the Succession; D&C and Church History 33
4 days ago
“President Brigham Young Leads the Saints“
This episode addresses the topic of prophetic succession in the Mormon tradition as well as the complex character of Brigham Young. The lesson and discussion cover the following topics:
* The effects of Joseph Smith’s death on the membership
* The various modes of succession that Joseph discussed (unknown to the Church at large) and the confusion that resulted
* Brigham and Emma’s relationship and the departure of Joseph’s family from the followers of Brigham Young
* The wives of Joseph Smith being divided among other leaders, especially Brigham and Heber Kimball
* Systems of succession in the LDS Church and Community of Christ, Seniority vs. Heredity
* The defunct office of Presiding Patriarch (ended in 1979)
* The idea of prophetic “mantle”
* How should we evaluate Brigham Young’s legacy as prophet?
$5 $10 $20 $50
One Time Donation:
$10 $20 $50 $100
Class Member Reading: Doctrine and Covenants 107:22–24; Joshua 1:1–5; 2 Kings 2:8–15; Jacob 1:12, 18–19
Rated 5 out of
Great for listening after studying the lesson. Then I have to go back and review the points i overlooked the first time.
Date published: 2014-03-21
Rated 5 out of
Mormon Sunday School
Love it. I wish every Sunday school lesson at church is as enriching as your program.
Date published: 2014-05-30