Masters of Unlocking: A Video Game Podcast
About This Show
A different kind of video game podcast. One is an author and game-lover, the other is a collector and recovering game store owner. Caleb J. Ross (@calebjross) and VGCollectaholic (@VGCollectaholic) delve into the business, economics, and psychology of video games. New episodes released every-other Monday.
Most Recent Episode
Which Game Publisher SHOULD Microsoft Acquire? – Episode 014
The rumor mill is running wild about Microsoft buying EA, Valve, or PUBG. We look at why those don’t make sense and propose three new contenders for who we think House Xbox SHOULD acquire.
* Gaming Archaeology:
* Caleb and VGCollectaholic recap their recent game pickups
* Epic Set List:
* Discussion of what we’ve been playing recently & our spoiler-free thoughts
* What’s News:
* Toys R Us closing 20% of its stores – we reminisce about TRU and Kay*Bee Toys
* I spent 453 hours in Fallout 4 and all I got was this stinking inner peace
* A truly unique piece of Zelda: Breath of the Wild art
* Mario Kart coming to a smartphone near you
* Red Dead Redemption 2 delayed
* Nintendo Switch’s online service finally gets a date
* Father of Playstation stepping down as Sony’s CEO
* Main Event:
* Rumors abound about a potential looming video game publisher acquisition by Microsoft. We look at the rumored names – EA, Valve, and PUBG Corp – and then ask who SHOULD Microsoft acquire? Turns out… it’s not one of those three.
Episodes of This Show
Dec 25 2017
Dec 12 2017
Rated 5 out of
Knowledgeable, Erudite, Well-Spoken, and On-Point
Hosts Caleb J. Ross and VGCollectaholic are two video game aficionados who approach gaming from completely different angles.
VGCollectaholic, a mega-collector who vows to never buy digital, is a former game store owner and business guru. He tends to explore the business and economics side of the gaming industry - providing great insight when you are wondering "I wonder why did Publisher X did _____?"
Caleb, a non-collector who embraces digital games and the indie scene, loves to discuss the psychology of games and game industry history. As an author, Caleb also brings in great discussion about video game books from time to time.
Hands-down one of the most erudite gaming podcasts around.
Date published: 2017-11-30
Rated 5 out of
The Game Grinder
Must Listen Video Game Podcast!
I began listening to Masters of Unlocking podcast on their third episode and I gotta just say how impressed I was at the quality of the content for a fledgling podcast. If they weren't industry professionals, then they definitely hit the ground running. As someone who's been co-hosting a podcast for two years, I'm jealous at their seemingly innate ability for this medium.
The overall quality of the content - their knowledge, the quality of the production, and the fantastic charismatic chemistry between Caleb and VGCollectaholic - makes for a show that I look forward to with each new episode. From discussions of recent game acquisitions, game news, and other related topics not only helps to become more aquatinted with the hosts, but gives a unique perspective and deeper insights to the gaming news, industry, and games themselves.
Date published: 2017-11-29