Radio Survivor Podcast
About This Show
The Radio Survivor podcast is a weekly show that explores the future of community media, with a focus on community radio, college radio, low-power FM and public access TV, along with podcasting and internet radio. Hosts Paul Riismandel, Eric Klein and Jennifer Waits highlight the best and most innovative audio programming and keep you updated on the news that affects our ability to make, create, hear and see great community media.
Most Recent Episode
Podcast #117 – Soundwork: Preserving the Legacy of Radio, Podcasts (& Alice’s Restaurant)
3 days ago
“Podcasts are luring people into listening,” Jennifer Waits reports, quoting the esteemed radio scholar Susan Douglas, from her keynote address at the recent Radio Preservation Task Force conference in Washington DC. Jennifer also relays some important reasons for studying radio history shared at the conference, especially to help understand the present and plan for the future, and she fills us in about efforts to preserve the early history and recordings of podcasts, as well as women’s pivotal role in the medium.
Then we discuss Jennifer’s annual charting of the stations that will observe the Thanksgiving tradition of playing Arlo Guthrie’s “Alice’s Restaurant,” and a mysterious 1970s public access TV artifact depicting a pirate radio station that once broadcast from Paul’s Portland, OR neighborhood.
* Radio Preservation Task Force
* The Library of Congress Launches Radio Preservation Task Force
* Podcast #37: Preservation, Pirates and Radionomy
* Podcast #40: Radio Treasure Hunt
* College Radio Watch: Preserving College Radio’s History at the RPTF Conference
* Radio Preservation Task Force Announces Radio History Conference in DC in November
* Sounding Out!
* Sounding Out! Podcast Episode Guide
* Radio Atlas
* Alice’s Restaur