Health Unchained Podcast
About This Show
Health Unchained conducts and facilitates interviews and conversations with healthcare leaders, executives, entrepreneurs, researchers, and medical professionals who are working on interesting and important projects enabled by blockchain technology.Read more »
Most Recent Episode
Ep. 9: Decentralized Whole Genome Sequencing (George Church – Nebula Genomics)
George Church, professor at Harvard & MIT, co-author of 480 papers, 130 patent publications & one book "Regenesis", originally published in 2012. His contributions have enabled nearly all advancements in “next generation” DNA sequencing methods, he’s cofounded over 20 companies and he was listed as one of TIME’s 100 most influential people of 2017. Also considered the father of synthetic biology.
George M. Church - http://arep.med.harvard.edu/gmc/
Nebula Genomics - https://www.nebulagenomics.io/
Veritas Genetics - https://www.veritasgenetics.com/
• Nebula Genomics origins and Veritas Genetics traction
• Genotyping vs. Medical grade whole genome sequencing – prices, value, and utility
• Data ownership of personal genomes
• Personal Genome Project is an open source/open access collaboration to share genomic and phenotypic information with researchers
• 3 Axes: How close to useful medical genome (technically); who controls it (self or corporate); how useful on a day-to-day basis (understandability and interactivity).
• Genome sequencing technology adoption and Seat-belts
• What scientific and social problems are you most concerned or obsessed with today?
• Aging Reversal
• Human life extension limitations and perceptions
• How Genome sequencing is like the internet back in the late 1980s.
• Genome editing risks and biohacking ethics
• Equitable distribution of gene editing technology among all the people require lower cost
• What’s more important- Information Systems R&D or microbiology wet-lab experiments? How dependent are they on each other?
• How did you first hear about blockchain technology?
• Personal Genetics Education Project - PGed.org
• Cambrian explosion of blockchains
• Exploring possibilities of genomic research
• What is the basis of consciousness?
• George’s favorite scientists
Decoding the human genome sequence is the most significant undertaking that we have mounted so far in an organized way in all of science. I believe that reading our blueprints, cataloguing our own instruction book, will be judged by history as more significant than even splitting the atom or going to
-Francis S. Collins [Director of the National Institute of Health (NIH)]
23andMe announces $300M deal for your DNA with giant drug company GSK - https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/23andme-gsk-drugs/Read more »