Tools They Use
About This Show
A curation of interviews with successful professionals about what apps and tools they use on a daily basis to get things done. From Apple devices to Chrome extensions, these professionals share what tools and applications are behind their day to day success.
From digital to analogue experiences, all have been modified to their own workflow to help them get things done across their workday.
Most Recent Episode
Kanban, Pomodoro Timers & Soft Skills for Developers | John Sonmez
2 days ago
Our sponsor for today’s podcast! Setapp.
Setapp is a revolutionary new service allowing you a hub of more than 100 Mac apps all in one spot for one monthly fee! Download it today for Mac using this link: https://stpp.co/ttu418
Learn more about Setapp with this helpful YouTube review, created by your host, Francesco D’Alessio.
What does your day-to-day job and work look like?
- It depends on John’s life season, now it’s mostly recording YouTube videos at his office, answering emails, and planning his week using the Pomodoro Technique (https://francescocirillo.com/pages/pomodoro-technique).
What to you use to tally all of your most important tasks together?
- KanbanFlow (https://kanbanflow.com/) (Web/Mobile) (For managing tasks using the built-in Pomodoro timer)
Do you take notes across your day? If so, what tool do you use?
- Drafts (http://getdrafts.com/) (iOS) (For taking notes on the go)
- WorkFlowy (https://workflowy.com/) (iOS/Android/Chrome/Mac/Windows/Linux) (For lists and plans)
What do you use when it comes to organizing your calendar?
- Fantastical (https://flexibits.com/fantastical) (iOS/Mac)
- Google Calendar (https://google.com/calendar) (iOS/Android)
- Assistant.to (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/assistantto-scheduling-as/ndddjdifcfcddfdgedlcmfjamionaago) (Chrome)
What hardware do you use every day? (phone, laptop, pc)
- iPhone X (https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/)
- Custom gaming laptop
- Dell XPS 13 laptop (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-13-laptop/spd/xps-13-9360-laptop)
- Canon EOS C100 camera (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c100)
- LG Ultrawide monitor (http://www.lg.com/us/search.lg?search=ultrawide)
What are your 3 favorite apps/tools for work? (Eg. marketing, designing)
- TubeBuddy (https://www.tubebuddy.com/)
- MorningFa.me (https://morningfa.me/)
- LastPass (https://www.lastpass.com/) (Windows/Mac/Linux/iOS/Android)
Outside of work, what three apps do you use love to use?
- Audible (https://www.audible.com/) (Android/iOS)
- Strava (https://www.strava.com) (iOS/Android)
- BodySpace (https://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/) (iOS/Android)
What is your planning process for the week ahead?
- John makes fitness and exercising a priority and schedule it in his week, he also tries to avoid decision fatigue planning his meals and exercises.
Do you get moments to pause in your day, if so, what do you do?
- John mostly goes through different phases of his life and tries to change it to avoid monotony. Filming YouTube videos is like keeping a personal diary and coaching to himself. He also keeps his morning routine very simple to avoid failure.
What book are you reading at the moment?
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson
- Skin in the Game: Hidden Asymmetries in Daily Life by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Where can we find you and all of your wonderful things?
- YouTube - here (https://www.youtube.com/jsonmez/)
- Blog - Simple Programmer (https://simpleprogrammer.com)
- Books - Soft Skills: The software developer's life manual (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617292397/), The Complete Software Developer's Career Guide (https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Software-Developers-Career-Guide-ebook/dp/B073X6GNJ1/)
Thanks once again to Setapp. The sponsor for Series 2 of Tools They Use.
Setapp is a game-changer when it comes to saving money and getting things done.
All the most useful Mac apps, available under one monthly subscription. No one-off fees, no in-app charges, just one set fee for more than a hundred apps. Special Guest: John Sonmez.
Episodes of This Show
7 days ago
Rated 5 out of
Loved the interview style! Very useful for helping to get the best apps!
Date published: 2018-02-09
Rated 5 out of
Inspiration and Insight
This is a great series for people who have any interest whatsoever in creating or perfecting their productivity (to-do, project management, etc.) systems. Providing great inspiration and insight from others who do this stuff all the time. You will easily find something helpful from this series!
Date published: 2018-03-02