Ultimate Homeschool Radio Network
About This Show
Preserving the best of the past with an eye to bless future generations the show offers no excuses, perfection or compromise. Felice hosts this weekly show on Monday at Noon Eastern, often with guests.
Most Recent Episode
Read The Book Or Watch The Movie First
4 days ago
Read The Book Or Watch The Movie First?
Read the book or watch the movie first? The difference of opinion can be surprising. Depending on the book or the movie the answers can vary. It depends on who you ask and for some, the answer may be, "I never gave it a thought!" In the past, I was what I considered a "purist," if there was a book that a movie was created around I'd always go for the book first. However, I never read the entire trilogy of Lord of the Rings, yet I watched the entire series multiple times. In this podcast, I'll explore the pros and cons of this debate and the best ideas for encouraging book and movie discussions with your children.
Thanks to our sponsor! And check out the movie trailer for Ice Dragon. A great animated film for children.
Show Notes: Read the Book or Watch the Movie First?
Pros: For Reading the Book First
* Reading the book gives you an insight into the richness of the characters.
* When you read the book you know what some of the characters are thinking.
* Books contain a fuller plot line than the movie.
* Use your imagination to "see" the story in your head.
* Interpretation of the author's motivation.
* You know the ending of the book before you watch the movie.
Cons: For Reading the Book First
* The movie never lives up to your expectations.
* We build up the characters in our mind and if we really like the book the movie always falls short.
* We will compare the book to the movie, often the book is better.
* If the book deviates from the movie we get upset.
Pros: For Watching the Movie First
* You know what the characters look like
* You understand the basis for the plot but it will be shorter
* You are drawn into the story with special effects and the music
* You can decide if you want to read the book.
* If you've read the book you have an idea about the plot of the movie.
Cons: For Watching the Movie First
* The characters are portrayed through dialogue only
* You see the character's through other's eyes
* The plot and the storyline is way shorter
* Much of the book is changed to fit i