The eLearning Coach Podcast
About This Show
Connie Malamed from The eLearning Coach site shares fresh ideas and actionable tips for success with creating online and mobile learning experiences. Listen to interviews with expert designers, developers, authors and professors who provide strategies for both learning architects and educators. If you have a passion for instructional design, cognitive psychology, visual communication, social media learning, mLearning, and related topics, this podcast is for you.
Most Recent Episode
ELC 047: The Action Mapping Alternative
If you are frustrated with the limited models available for instructional design, then you’ll be interested in this conversation with Cathy Moore. She is the creator of Action Mapping, a model of training design that focuses on improving workplace performance. Cathy is a training designer, teacher, speaker and author. Her advice and designs have been used by many organizations and the U.S. government. She also teaches online workshops on scenario design.
Cathy has made it her mission to save the world from boring instruction. In this conversation, we discuss her book, Map It!. We also talk about the changing role of learning experience designers, measuring the effects of training, how to tell whether training is the solution to a performance problem, tracking practice activities (or not), creating prototypes and much more.
* Providing effective solutions that go beyond training
* Action Mapping process
* Using business metrics to measure performance improvement and behavior change
* How action mapping has evolved and changed over the years
* Criteria to determine whether a performance problem can be solved with training
* Action mapping as a method for practicing instructional design
* When to use and not use action mapping
* How to choose the tasks that require practice activities
* Advantages of branching scenarios
* Technical implementation of practice activities
* Prototyping guidelines
TIME: 24 minutes
TRANSCRIPT: Elves are working on it this moment!
* Map It by Cathy Moore
* Cathy's website
* Is training the answer? Use this flowchart
* Will Action Mapping work for my project? (interactive flowchart)
Episodes of This Show
Nov 27, 2017
Oct 9, 2017
Aug 13, 2017
Rated 5 out of
ID's should not miss this show.
I am a second year graduate student in a Learning Design and Technology Master's degree program and a full-time Instructional Designer/Trainer.
I just want to say that I love this podcast. The interviews are so amazing and so many topics are directly relevant to my work and personal interests. Granted, I am a podcast addict – I’ll be the first to admit it - so I'm usually multi-tasking when I listen to them. However when, I listen to the eLearning Podcast I have to make sure I have nothing else in front of me because I usually have to take notes or review show notes for links to resources. I have shared episodes with my supervisor and co-workers on more than few occasions.
Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you and keep up the good work.
Date published: 2013-12-11