About This Show
How do we understand the places we visit (and even the places we’ve never been)? As a shorthand, we use agreed-upon touchstones - places (like monuments and gravesites), people (like statesmen and singers), objects (like food and fashion), and, of course, dreams (dreamed-up people and dreamed-up places and dreamed-up things). This podcast looks at a culture's icons - real and imagined - to see what they say about the culture itself, as well as the outsiders who've elevated those icons above others.
Most Recent Episode
007 in 2015
Revisit 2015, when the most recent Bond film came out on the tails of a series of revelatory spy films - and world events - that argued for 007's irrelevance.
- How the NSA shows up in mainstream entertainment
- So many Bond themes
- Melissa McCarthy showing the men (mostly Statham) how it’s done
- Kingsman’s scathing class critique
- Ilya Kuryakin and the demonized other
- Bridge of Spies and the reality of spy craft
- The wonders of Ilsa Faust
- The murky waters of Sicario
- A cameo appearance from HERCULES MULLIGAN!
Episodes of This Show
Nov 16, 2017
Oct 23, 2017
Oct 1, 2017