The Amiel Show
About This Show
The Amiel Show provides people who are hungry to grow as leaders and human beings with cutting-edge conversations about leadership. What’s the one skill or quality you can improve that will build your public identity as a competent and trusted leader? What does it take to manage your commitments to yourself and others so that you produce better results with less stress? How can brain science inform how you develop people and organizations? What becomes possible when you reframe organizational politics as the practice of understanding and aligning with others’ interests and concerns? How can you make your conversations and meetings more powerful and impactful? Join Amiel Handelsman, executive coach and author of Practice Greatness, as he explores these questions with thoughtful executives and pragmatic thought leaders. For all past episodes, visit www.amielhandelsman.com.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 69: Executives’ New Promises With Bob Dunham [The Amiel Show] - The Amiel Show
This week on the podcast, I welcome back Bob Dunham to discuss the transition from manager to executive.
Bob heads up the Institute for Generative Leadership, where for three decades he has developed leaders and coaches.
In episode 7, he described how to make reliable promises and the importance of listening for commitment.
This time, we explored how becoming an executive involves a new category of promises. Skillfully managing these promises requires new conversations, skills, and presence. Why do many people fail in transitioning to the executive role? What does it take to cross this chasm successfully? How can you prepare yourself for the transition?
Join Bob and me as we delve into these questions and more.
And, as always, share with friends who might enjoy these insights.
* 9:00 People are often blind to the outcome
* 17:00 When you have plans but no promises
* 21:30 Not having honest conversations is a setup for failure
* 28:30 Blind spot: the learning path for new managers
* 40:00 Good managers assess their direct reports’ assessments
* 42:00 Executives’ new promises and conversations
* 53:00 It’s all about what we listen for
Listen to the Podcast
Download l Listen in new window
Explore Additional Resources
* The Institute for Generative Leadership
* The Innovator’s Way: Essential Practices for Successful Innovation by Peter J. Denning and Robert Dunham
New to Podcasts?
Get started here
Subscribe to the Show on iTunes (It’s Easy!)
* Sign into iTunes using your ID and password
* Search the iTunes store for “Amiel Show”
* If you get a screen without