The Amiel Show
About This Show
The Amiel Show provides people who are hungry to grow as leaders and human beings with cutting-edge conversations about leadership. What’s the one skill or quality you can improve that will build your public identity as a competent and trusted leader? What does it take to manage your commitments to yourself and others so that you produce better results with less stress? How can brain science inform how you develop people and organizations? What becomes possible when you reframe organizational politics as the practice of understanding and aligning with others’ interests and concerns? How can you make your conversations and meetings more powerful and impactful? Join Amiel Handelsman, executive coach and author of Practice Greatness, as he explores these questions with thoughtful executives and pragmatic thought leaders. For all past episodes, visit www.amielhandelsman.com.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 68: Timeless Wisdom For Men With Sean LeClaire [The Amiel Show] - The Amiel Show
Men, this episode is for you.
Executive coach and author Sean Casey LeClaire joins me to describe his remarkable journey from a rough-and-tumble working poor hometown through flirtation with a professional sports career toward early success as an advertising executive and then discovery of what he calls “timeless wisdom.” This interview is filled with heartfelt stories about aspiration, loss, anger, challenge, and the still, graceful space within each of us.
Sean’s autobiographical tale provides the emotional core of my emerging series on Men in Leadership. It joins past conversations with Robert Augustus Masters about true masculine power, Janet Crawford on being a good guy and breaking with the bro code, and Keith Witt on men’s sexual shadow at work, as well as a Jedi Leadership Trick I call The Manly Apology.
Listen in, and send me an email to tell me which story resonated with you the most.
* 9:00 Growing up with sports, violence, and poetry
* 14:00 Putting on a mask to stay alive
* 16:00 Rick, Jim, and the power of a gentle challenge
* 24:00 Anger and archetypal gestures
* 27:30 The story of hugging an angry man
* 34:30 A friend’s suicide and discovering yoga
* 37:00 Sean reads his poem “If I stopped”
* 45:30 When people think Sean is crazy or arrogant
* 49:00 When coaches get co-opted by sickness in corporations
* 53:30 Sean reads his poem “Parts”
* 58:00 Sean’s son champions him through the frustrating construction of a Darth Vader scooter
Listen to the Podcast
Download l Listen in new window
Explore Additional Resources
* Hug An Angry Man And You