Active Streets Alliance
About This Show
We strive for more equitable access to our community’s public space by:
• Producing vibrant community events that encourage cultural exchange, facilitate dialogue, and activate ownership over our streets
• Promoting active transportation as a means to better health, enjoyment and increased quality of life
• Highlighting the economic and social benefit of livable streets
• Aiding efforts to create engaging environments through the arts
• Partnering with community and civic groups to reimagine and advocate for street design and policy that encourages community engagement and active transportation.Read more »
Most Recent Episode
Urban Trails Workshop - May 2016
May 19, 2016
Over the years in Gainesville and Alachua County has worked to convert unused rail beds into bicycle and pedestrian trails. These facilities, such as the Gainesville-Hawthorne, Archer Braid, and Sixth Street Trail, provide for great recreation opportunities and even some commuting, but they access limited parts of the City. How do we work to design and build a network of such trails throughout the City, in order to connect more people to more places?
This workshop explored the possibilities, presenting several proposals for the next great Gainesville trail, and an interactive session to crowdsource new ideas.
The format consisted of a ten minute overview, followed by three unique 10 minute preview presentations for attendees to consider. Participants then asked followup questions of each presenter to tease out additional detail and provide valuable feedback.
Scott Wright - City of Gainesville Public Works Planning Department
Michelle Park - City of Gainesville Parks, Rec, and Cultural Affairs
Dina Kaloti - Based on work with the Florida Community Design Center
Forrest Eddleton - Based on work with the Florida Community Design Center
Map Posters and Photos can be found at: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAAztqD
Thanks should also be given to Liquid Creative for providing great setting for this workshop.Read more »
Episodes of This Show
Apr 18, 2016