Dr. Westin Childs Podcast: Thyroid | Weight loss | Hormones
About This Show
Are you suffering from weight gain, low energy or overall just not feeling well?
Sit back and relax because this podcast is dedicated to you!
I'm Dr. Westin Childs and I practice functional medicine in Gilbert, Arizona. My passion is for helping people lose weight and KEEP it off by balancing hormone levels, especially the thyroid.
More than that though, I'm interested in making you feel HUMAN again to REGAIN control of your life and your health.
I take a "whole body" approach to medicine that has allowed for some amazing results in my patients and that's what I want to share with you...
These podcasts will go over patient case studies, how I approach patient care, and how to properly diagnose and treat these imbalances.
I will specifically be discussing thyroid problems, leptin resistance, insulin resistance, weight loss resistance, estrogen dominance, adrenal fatigue and gut problems/imbalances.
For more information on me and why I do what I do check out my website here: www.restartmed.com
If you have any questions or have a topic you want me to discuss please shoot me an email on my website to submit a request in the "contact" section!
Call for more information!
Phone: (480) 964-5107
Address: 3303 E Baseline Rd #204, Gilbert, AZ 85234.
Most Recent Episode
Hashimoto's Weight Loss
6 days ago
Are you struggling to lose weight with Hashimoto's? In this post I outline the 9 steps that I use to help Hashimoto's patients lose weight in my practice.
Hashimoto's patients need to be differentiated from other thyroid patients when it comes to treatment, but also when it comes to weight loss.
If you didn't already know exercising more and eating less will NOT lead to lasting weight loss in Hashimoto's patients.
I discuss the 4 main reasons for weight loss resistance that patients face that most doctors aren't even looking for:
1. Body set point malfunction - hypothalamic changes that make weight loss almost impossible.
2. Low resting metabolic rate or low resting energy expenditure (AKA slow or damaged metabolism) - Your metabolism controls the majority of your calorie consumption and a damaged metabolism will make weight loss very difficult.
3. Leptin resistance - High levels of leptin tricks your brain into thinking that your body is starving even though you are overweight.
4. Gut imbalances - Specifically SIBO and SIFO can cause inflammatory states which reduce thyroid conversion and lead to changes in microflora of the GI tract which causes weight loss resistance.
These 4 topics are VERY important and these tips help treat them:
1. Check and treat your metabolism if damaged
2. Get on the right type and dose of thyroid medication - that generally means T3 in some form (NDT or T3) especially if you have insulin or leptin resistance
3. Find the best hashimoto's diet for YOUR body - that means anything ranging from AIP vs nutritional ketosis vs gluten free, dairy free, soy free
4. Make sure you are exercising (preferably HIIT + low intensity daily)
5. Address gut health - specifically SIBO/SIFO and malabsorption
6. Reduce inflammation in your body
7. Address adrenal related problems
8. Treat leptin and insulin resistance
9. Avoid endocrine disruptors and xenoestrogens (AKA make sure you are detoxing)
Listen to the video for tips on how to treat each of these conditions and let me know if you have any questions below!
More information in the video and the full blog post can be found here:
You can read more on my website here:
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high quality content but this i