About This Show
How do some of the smartest, most creative people use social media? And how can you use social media in alignment with your own values? Learn how with host Tracy Samantha Schmidt, who also teaches social media marketing at the University of Chicago.
Most Recent Episode
SA 03 - The Law, Social Media and You
Tracy spoke with Daliah Saper, an intellectual property lawyer who also teaches Internet Law at the University of Illinois.
In a rapid-fire conversation, Daliah outlined the biggest legal risks that you face when personally using social media.
Questions Daliah answered include:
* When you post a piece of content to a social network, what rights do you retain to that content?
* If you’ve produced a creative work, such as an image or a song, how can you protect your ownership online?
* What is “Fair Use” and can you reuse copyrighted content online?
* If someone says something false about you online, what legal action can you take?
* If you’ve insulted someone online, can you be sued?
* If someone bullies you online, what legal action can you take?
* If you are the victim of revenge porn, how can you get the images taken down?
* Can you be fired if you do not obey your employer’s social media policy?
* When you leave a company, can you take your social following with you?
* How can you legally run a sweepstakes or contest online?
* If you are accepting free things in exchange for posts on social media, what FCC regulations must you follow?
For additional legal resources about these and other topics, please visit SaperLaw.com.
This episode was produced in partnership with Greentarget, and our executive producers are Paul Wilson and Jackson Pillow.
To learn more about Socially Authentic and Tracy Samantha Schmidt,, please visit SociallyAuthentic.com.