About This Show
5to9 is a podcast for the side hustle generation. For those who make their bread in a 9 to 5 job, and fulfill their dream in a 5 to 9 hustle. For the moonlighting culture. For those who want more.
We sit down with inspiring people for a conversation on how they fulfill their passions with creative projects, and why they do what they do.
Created with love and care by John Matson and Tina Yip.
Most Recent Episode
03: Guilty Pleasures = Side Projects? // Yoko Sakao Ohama (Designer at Squarespace)
In this episode of 5to9, we interviewed Yoko Sakao Ohama, a designer at Squarespace, maker of Vin Diesel Anything, creator of “Why Arn't We Dancing” (a dance video newsletter), host of podcast “So Where Are You From” and creator of many many side projects. This lady is a serious serial side project maker.
Hear about how she treats her side projects as a time capsule, the role of mentorship and how she turns bad habits and guilty pleasures into something productive.
What we talked about:
- Yoko’s background as a designer
- Remembering different times of lives through side projects
- “At the Same Damn Time” Lettering Project http://www.atsdt.tumblr.com
- “Why Aren’t We Dancing” Newsletter http://www.whyarentwedancing.com
- Turning guilty pleasures into side projects
- What Yoko is inspired by
- How she worked with her boyfriend, Kevin, on “Ask Vin Disel Anything”http://www.askvinanything.com
- Why Yoko make side projects
- Yoko’s view on mentorship and who she looks up to
- Mentorship vs. board of advisors
Other links mentioned:
More on Yoko and her side projects:
Please subscribe and like us on Facebook!