The Unapologetic Capitalist
About This Show
The Unapologetic Capitalist preaches the “venture gospel” for anyone who is compelled to build an opportunity of substantial, long-term value. Leave your ego and politics at the door, and generate substantial long-term value with The Unapologetic Capitalist.
Most Recent Episode
The UC 057: Unconscious Bias: Can You Overcome Yours?
< 1 day ago
Bias, whether unconscious or not, can unwittingly keep us from recognizing great opportunities. Your bias can destroy potentially significant long term value. It is VERY important to recognize and understand your biases so that you can overcome them and be a productive and value generating leader. Often times the greatest impediment to success is ourselves, and we don’t even know it.
* What is unconscious bias?
* Biasis a prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another usually in a way that’s considered to be unfair.
* None of us wants to be bias, but we are all guilty.
* Open minded people will be thoughtful enough to derail their unconscious biases in their behavior so their actions don’t reflect their bias.
* If you don’t acknowledge that you do have some biases that are wired in you then you have no hope of being a good and value generating leader.
* Recap of past couple of shows
* Unfortunately, fear sells and even more unfortunately most people are buying. However, leaders who resort to leading by fear are bad leaders. They fear the greatest fear of all: the truth. What do you fear? Can you rise above your fear to be a value generating leader?
* Discussion Exercise: Get out 2 pieces of paper or 2 note cards and grab a pen or pencil.
* Take one of the cards and write down three things you think other people would think when they first see you. When you are done…turn it over. We will get to the other card later.
* Understanding bias
* Conscious bias(also know as explicit bias) is less prevalent than unconscious bias.
* Unconscious bias(also know as implicit bias) is highly prevalent, social stereotypes about certain groups of people that individuals form outside their own conscious awareness.
* Biases, conscious or unconscious, are not limited to ethnicity and race.
* Bias may exist toward from any social group. One’s age, gender, gender identity physical abilities, religion, sexual orientation, weight, and many other characteristics visible or invisible are subject to bias.
* Solving ‘unconscious bias’ is more than a $10B a year industry, Forbes: November 2, 2015, “Rise of the Bias Busters: How Unconscious Bias Became Silicon Valley’s Newest Target”
* Silicon Valley brought this industry ab