The Recovery Show » Finding serenity through 12 step recovery in Al-Anon – a podcast
About This Show
12-step recovery for those of us who love alcoholics or addicts. We share our experience, strength, and hope as we use the principles of the Al-Anon program in our lives. We talk openly and honestly about the problems and challenges as we face alcoholism and addiction in our friends and relatives. We share the tools and solutions we have found that let us live a life that is serene, happy, and free, even when the alcoholic or addict is still drinking or using.
Most Recent Episode
Keep it Simple – Episode 181
1 day ago
Do you overcomplicate your life? How can we “Keep it Simple”?
Let’s look at the section of How Al-Anon Works about the slogan “Keep it Simple”. How would you relate each of these sentences to your life?
* When coping with the baffling and often overwhelming effects of alcoholism, the simpler and more straightforward the approach, the better. The slogan, “Keep It Simple,” makes just that point.
* When life seems unmanageable or confusing, many of us unknowingly complicate matters even further by trying to anticipate everything that could go wrong, so that we will be prepared to respond.
* This slogan reminds us that we can’t control every possible outcome to every situation and that trying to do so makes our lives more difficult and more stressful than they already are.
* When we “Keep It Simple,” we try to take things at face value,
* looking at what is actually happening
* rather than the 50 things that might or might not follow.
* Perhaps we can approach large projects and challenges slowly, step by step, in manageable stages rather than all at once.
* Sometimes we must act with haste,
* but not every new task or unexpected event is a crisis.
* Our initial, fearful responses may arise more from habit rather than necessity.
* In time, we learn that if we are feeling paralyzed and overwhelmed, we may be complicating matters
* or taking on more than we can handle for this moment or this day,
* and that we may have better luck by simplifying what we are trying to accomplish.
* We can relax and try to be more gentle with ourselves,
* trusting that by putting one foot in front of the other, we will eventually get where we are going.
And a couple of related slogans:
* Easy does it.
* First things first.
Our topic for next week is anger. Please call us at 734-707-8795 or email email@example.com with your questions or experience, strength and hope. Or just leave a comment right here.
The reading “Set in Stone” is from the book Walking Towards Morning by Victoria Safford.
Rated 5 out of
Recharging Your Recovery
I love the shows stimulating topics with all the calming effects of saying The Serenity Prayer over and over. I'm so glad my friend told me about STITCHER.
Date published: 2013-12-09