The Other 99 - Equipping The Church for Community, Discipleship, and Mission
About This Show
Across all denominations, pastors make up only 1% of Christians in America, yet they are expected to do the bulk of the work of the church. Every other week, David, Bethany, and Guy will have a conversation that aims to equip the other 99% - normal church folk - to do the work of the church.
Welcome to The Other 99, a podcast to equip the church for community, discipleship, and mission.
Most Recent Episode
017 - Sabbath & Simplicity with Will Rambo
3 days ago
In this episode, our tricycle becomes a bicycle which becomes a tricycle again, as Guy leaves us for fun adventures and instead we're joined by Will Rambo, one of the pastors at The Orchard in Tupelo, MS. We interview Will about the disciplines of sabbath and simplicity. Here's what we talk about: Update on Scripture charges n' challenges; Bethany and David talk about how they're not Guy; Will shames Guy about not being there for the episode; Will introduces himself; Sabbath means "to cease"; Sabbath was always intended to reorient us back to God; The value of Sabbath is that it helps us see our identity apart from what we produce; Will explains what Sabbath looks like for him; Sabbath doesn't have to be a 24-hour period on Sunday; Sabbath is finding intentional blocks of time to cease our work and engage in things that reorient us back to God; Will drops "That which you do not do on purpose you will accidentally never do" --- SIDENOTE: it would not have been an authentic interview with Will Rambo if he hadn't said this; We live in a day where the items on our to-do list will never cease, but Sabbath is us making the decision that we will cease in the midst of that; Living to meet the expectations of other people will keep us from truly practicing Sabbath (and it will also wreck us); Will unpacks sanctification for us because he used it in a sentence; Chores and Sabbath; Less is more and doing more is always less; Trying to model a life of simplicity is a fight in our culture; How do we let our life be simpler so we have more time to do more important things; Simplicity for the Church --- at Orchard, looks like not feeling the pressure to provide programs for every individual in every life stage but rather doing a few really important things really well; Simplicity for an individual --- for Will, it looks like not saying yes to everything and also making space for getting up early in the morning for solitude; CHARGES n' CHALLENGES w/ Will Rambo Feasting --- use (and maybe make) meals to enrich Sabbath; Remembering --- intentionally create time in Sabbath to remember God's goodness and faithfulness and love to you; Resting --- not just not doing work. What refreshes you? What enriches your soul? ; Avoi