The Mastering Show
About This Show
This is the show where we cover all aspects of mastering on a weekly basis. If you're interested in becoming a mastering engineer, in mastering in general or just want to learn how to get better results mastering your own music, this is the show you want to hear.
Most Recent Episode
The Mastering Show #34 - What ARE dynamics ?
3 days ago
Dynamics. I talk about them ALL the time. “This song has great dynamics”... “make sure you keep plenty of dynamics”... “your music NEEDS balanced dynamics”… but what actually ARE they ?
Just like everything else we talk about on this show, dynamics are more complicated than they might seem at first glance. For example, there are at least two different types ! In this show we unpick the topic and try to shed some life on the truth about dynamics, including:
* Why the loudness war hasn’t reduced loudness range
* Why “DR” measurements don’t measure dynamic range
* Why “crest factor” is a better term, and how it relates to the two types of dynamics
* The natural dynamics of different sounds, and
* When you don’t want to hear them
* What Ian really thinks of the Prodigy, Skrillex and the Chemical Brothers - and their dynamics
* How to measure dynamics
Check the show notes for links