The K12 Engineering Education Podcast
About This Show
Promoting education in engineering and design for all ages. Produced by Pius Wong, engineer.
This podcast is for educators, engineers, entrepreneurs, and parents interested in bringing engineering to younger ages. Listen to real conversations among various professionals in the engineering education space, as we try to find better ways to educate and inspire kids in engineering thinking. For episode transcripts and more information, visit: www.k12engineering.net
Topics include overcoming institutional barriers to engineering and STEM in K12, cool ways to teach engineering, equity in access to engineering, industry needs for engineers, strategies for training teachers, "edtech" solutions for K12 classrooms, curriculum and pedagogy reviews, and research on how kids learn engineering knowledge and skills. Thanks for listening!
Most Recent Episode
Some students struggle with trauma, mental health, mental disabilities, and negative peers and adults; and yet, with the right decisions and the right help, they still will become successful engineers. Hector is a computer engineer who has such a story. Although engineering and computers interested him early on, he faced several major obstacles on his path to getting an engineering degree. Hector talks about self-reflection, accommodations, and other supports that helped him overcome these obstacles.
Mentioned in this episode:
• Wolfenstein video game series, starting in 1981 to today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein_(series)
• Info on accommodations for college students with disabilities, from the American Psychological Association: http://www.apa.org/pi/disability/dart/toolkit-three.aspx
• “Working Together: K12 Teachers and Students with Disabilities,” article from the University of Washington: http://www.washington.edu/doit/working-together-k12-teachers-and-students-disabilities
• Online discussion on Reddit in 2016 about engineers with ADHD: https://www.reddit.com/r/engineering/comments/4d9293/engineers_with_adhd_how_does_it_affect_you/
Mentioned in the post-show notes:
• Support the show on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/pioslabs
• Join a workshop with me at CAST in Houston 2017? Info at: http://www.statweb.org/
Our closing music is from "Late for School" by Bleeptor, used under a Creative Commons Attribution License: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0. Subscribe and find more podcast information at: http://www.k12engineering.net. The K12 Engineering Education Podcast is a production of Pios Labs: http://www.pioslabs.com. Help Pios Labs continue! You can donate at: https://www.patreon.com/pioslabs
Also check out these projects from Pios Labs:
• Engineering Word Of The Day (EWOTD) podcast: http://engineeringwordoftheday.com
• Guidebook “Engineer’s Guide to Improv and Art Games” by Pius Wong, on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other retailers: http://www.pioslabs.com/improv4design.html
• Improv Professional Development (ImprovPD) project: http://www.improvpd.com/