The Comics Canon
About This Show
The Comics Canon is the podcast that renders judgment on the greatest comic book stories of yesterday and today. Each episode, Curt Holman and Kevin Moreau take a critical and completely subjective look at one of the biggest stories and most seminal moments in the medium’s history, as they decide: Does this belong in the pantheon of classic and iconic tales known as … The Comics Canon?
Most Recent Episode
Episode 32 The Guardians Of The Galaxy Episode
3 days ago
In this episode, Curt and Kevin get ready for the new Guardians of the Galaxy film by taking a rocket ride to the Kree homeworld for a look at the comic-book origins of this cinematic band of space-faring misfits, as seen in Annihilation: Conquest – Star-Lord #1-4, published by Marvel Comics!
But first, they make a brief 1,000-year detour to the far future to check in with the stalwart 30th-century star warriors who started it all, as the original Guardians of the Galaxy (including a certain blue-skinned guy you might recognize from the movies) band together in 1969’s Marvel Super-Heroes #18!
Can the original Guardians repel the (not terribly menacing) menace of the invading Badoon? Can their modern-day counterparts foil the (not-so-fearsome) Phalanx and save the galaxy from cybernetic assimilation? Most importantly, can these cosmic champions blast their way into that interplanetary posse of space cowboys known as … The Comics Canon?
Things Discussed in This Episode:
• We need to talk about Yondu
• Steve Gerber, Bill Mantlo, Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin
• Annihilation: Conquest
• The Borg—We mean, the Phalanx
• Bug's speech patterns explained
• A talking Groot!?!
• Star-Lord’s lame password game
• Space profanity
• The name of our Canon Fodder segment
• Curt reacts to our latest iTunes review
• Justice League International
• Guardians of the Galaxy: Legacy
• Nova by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning
• The Micronauts
• What’s your favorite space comic?