The Bridge Sports Podcast
About This Show
The Bridge is a weekly sports podcast that will take you through a myriad of sports topics — both current and overall intriguing — that also features a wide variety of sports media professionals as guests to help enhance conversation.
Most Recent Episode
The Bridge Ep. 48: Anthony Herron, former NFL and AFL player turned college football analyst, joins the show to discuss his path from player to broadcaster before breaking down all things College Football Playoff
Dec 8 16
The final College Football Playoff rankings were released, leaving some teams relieved, and others soured.
Before we get into that and the rest of Episode 48, as a reminder, The Bridge is now broadcast as a one hour radio show every Wednesday night on Sports Radio America, starting at 7 ET. Once the dust settles from that live broadcast, the show is released as a podcast on iTunes and this website on Friday night. You can listen to the live show every Wednesday on Sports Radio America here or through the TuneIn app.
* Sports News Read Like Real News focused on #Tiegate and Cam Newton’s one-play suspension for reportedly not wearing a tie to show up to the game (2:19).
* This week’s guest is Anthony Herron, a former NFL and AFL player turned college football analyst for the Pac-12 Network who also dabbles with NBC, ESPN and CBS as well. Big Ant was a named a team captain as a senior at Iowa before a couple of seasons in the NFL and AFL. He eventually made the transition into broadcasting and has been developing his craft ever since. Anthony has a strong pulse on not only the Pac 12, but all other facets of college football and gave some fantastic insight on all things College Football Playoffs.
* You can follow him on Twitter @BigAntHerron. The interview starts right after the 10 minute mark.
* In the interview, we discuss:
* How he ended up with the nickname “Grandpa” while playing with the Iowa Hawkeyes in college (10:54), how hard it is to make it in the NFL (12:24), what made him want to start pursuing broadcasting (14:58), how much his time as a player/coach has helped him in broadcasting (17:21), if he was a fan of moving from the BCS to the College Football Playoff (20:35), what are the biggest things teams need to do for the best chance of making the CFBP (22:38), how scheduling a “challenging” non-conference game is harder than you’d think (25:10), if the four “best” teams made the CFBP (27:46), the reason for Penn State getting left out (29:53), if Michigan had complaint to be left out (32:03), how exciting that Iowa game-winning field goal was (34:29), what stands out about Washin