Marketing tips for translators - podcast
About This Show
Marketing tips for translators is a podcast featuring interviews with successful freelance translators on different marketing tools and strategies, plus solo shows with step by step instructions and tips for a successful freelance career and lifestyle for translators.
Most Recent Episode
Episode 128: Contracts for Translation Services – Interview with Amanda Williams
2 days ago
In this episode we are discussing contracts again. In episode 88 I interviewed Andrew Leigh on terms and conditions, and today’s episode will build on this. More precisely, we will look at how to create contracts for yourself, but also red flags in the contracts you sign. With me I have Amanda Williams, a French to English translator who presented on the topic at the last ATA conference and shared some great tips on contracts for freelance linguists.
Important things covered in this episode:
* When do contracts come into play for translators?
* The consequences of signing a contract without reading it first
* Red flags
* Using your own contract in addition to agencies’ contracts
* Why we need our own contracts
* How to create a contract and what to include
* Useful resources
* Project specification sheets
Useful links mentioned in this episode:
* ATA Guide to a Translation Services Agreement: atanet.org/business_practices/translation_agreement_guide.pdf
* ATA Translation Job Model Contract: atanet.org/business_practices/model_translation_job_contract.php
* Elia sample translation contract:
* Example literary translation contract: pen.org/a-model-contract-for-literary-translations
* Uwe Muegge’s Translation Contract: A Standards-Based Model Solution: amazon.com/dp/1418416363
* Corinne McKay’s How to Succeed as a Freelance Translator: amazon.com/How-Succeed-as-Freelance-Translator/dp/0578077566
Thank you to Amanda for shar
Rated 5 out of
A must-listen for any linguist or freelancer
Well considered questions and thoughtful responses, this is a very insightful show that brings something fresh and new to the translation community. I consider myself an experienced translator but have learnt something valuable from every episode so far. The perfect dose of inspiration on my morning walks.
Date published: 2014-02-24