About This Show
Retirement isn’t just about money. In our show we talk about the other things that will impact you such as: Social and Family Adventure and Travel Volunteer and Philanthropy Spiritual/soul Sex in retirement (I usually have therapists discuss this topic) Helping your parents/sandwich generation issues Baby Boomers are often helping both their children and their parents at the same time. Our goal is to help you have a great retirement, regardless of the amount of money you’ve saved. We want you to Rock Your Retirement!
Most Recent Episode
2-1-1 San Diego-find your volunteer home
2 days ago
In this episode of Rock Your Retirement we talked to Alana Kalinowski. You can listen to the show at http://rockyourretirement.libsyn.com/211-san-diego-find-your-volunteer-home
2-1-1 San Diego’s mission is to help people by connecting them to services and provide vital data and trend information for proactive community planning.
Alana Kalinowski manages the Community Outreach Program at 2-1-1 San Diego. 2-1-1 San Diego is a resource and information hub that connects people with community, health and disaster services through a free, 24/7 service. This service includes stigma-free confidential phone service, and it also includes a searchable on line database. It’s also important to note that 2-1-1 serves the entire population of the County.
2-1-1 San Diego has a staff of 150 people who take about 1200 calls per day.
They have approximately 1,500 organizations in their database that they can refer people to. The majority of their referral sources are non-profit and government agencies. Their vetting process includes; checking licenses, certificates, and making sure they provide the services they say they provide.
98 % of the US is under 2-1-1 jurisdiction however, the programs can vary drastically in each state.
Just some of the referral services that 2-1-1 San Diego offers are:
* Cool Zones-residents can use the Cool Zones to escape the heat and reduce their own air conditioning use.
* It provides locations on where you can your taxes filed for free.
* 2-1-1 provides locations for flu shots.
* It also provides locations for free blood pressure checks.
* Fix-It Service -provides volunteers to help with minor home modifications or repairs.
* 2-1-1 provides Courage to Call-which is a veteran staffed helpline dedicated to assisting active duty military personnel, veterans, and their families.
* They have a seat at the counties information center and get real time information during a disaster to provide non-emergency resources.
* Health Navigation Program- this is a program that serves as a single access point information and referral system for San Diego County, connecting anyone to available health services.
For more information Call 2-1-1 or go to their website at: http://211sandiego.org/new/