About This Show
Extraordinary conversations with leaders and thinkers in the 805. Host Mark Sylvester interviews business innovators in an always engaging back and forth freeform format. Sponsored by California Lutheran University School of Management and Tolman & Wicker Insurance Services.
Most Recent Episode
Building High Impact Teams – Helen Russell – Atlassian
2 days ago
My passion is culture
"Focus on the team, not the individual."
Helen Russell is the Chief People Officer at Atlassian. She had a great conversation with Mark and Patrick about talent, leadership, teams, and learning.
Atlassian is a company that creates software that allows teams to work together better. She was formerly of Santa Barbara-based SONOS until recently. Her background includes working at a WPP company, Kantar, which was intriguing as Mark works with WPP company, J Walter Thompson.
This wide-ranging conversation covered a lot of ground including:
• What's the role of HR in the new, dynamic, fast-growth economy where companies grow at 35% and more
• How you have to rethink how you work with high-potential employees - they have to outpace the business's rapid growth, as their jobs will inevitably morph every six months.
Looking for exponentially bright people and move them up and through the organization
• GRIT - it's not just intelligence - it's drive and determination that is the hallmark of top performers
• Why companies need to rethink Performance Ratings - and focus instead on team performance
• What we care about is Collective Success
• Her sports background
• The discussion and definition of Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace was enlightening
• The most diverse perspectives help high impact teams deliver results
• "What are the skills required for our future company?" Incredible insight into the role of HR in the C-suite
• How to craft a talent strategy for your company
• How HR is now more like the CMO
• The question each of us (entrepreneurs) should ask ourselves, "Are we the right person to hire people in our company?" Should we pass that to a professional?
• A book recommendation: WHY by Charles Tilly
• Her go-to icebreaker to start off an interview. "Last night, you were with a friend, and telling them about today's meeting. How did you characterize it to them?"
• We talked about the recent acquisition of TRELLO by Atlassian. We love TRELLO. This led to a discussion about mergers and corporate culture.