Not Your African Cliché
About This Show
Four Mics, Four Nigerian Women, Zero African Clichés.
We are four Nigerian women with interesting opinions and a shared disgust for ignorant comments about our continent. Yes, the CONTINENT of Africa. No, not the country! As a result, we have decided to create a platform where we can tell you more about us rather than letting disney channel and Nat Geo Wild do it for us.
Most Recent Episode
NYAC S2 Episode 3: Siblings of the Diaspora - Africans and African-Americans
2 days ago
The Ladies of NYAC are joined by Brian Bush (@BrianCBush), an African American from Tennessee, and Ifunaya, a 1st generation Nigerian-American from New Jersey, to examine one of the most complicated sibling relationships in the world: the relationship between African-Americans and black people from Africa. We revisit our first encounters with the African or African-American community, learn the history behind some derogatory words each group has for the other, talk about the differences between/similarities of our struggles, and ask if African-Americans can be accused of culturally appropriating African cultures.
- Articles examining the possible sources of tension between Africans and African-Americans
- Article about black student make up of Ivy League schools: https://www.good.is/articles/ivy-league-fooled-how-america-s-top-colleges-avoid-real-diversity
- Article claiming African-Americans appropriate African culture - https://thsppl.com/black-america-please-stop-appropriating-african-clothing-and-tribal-marks-3210e65843a7#.l74a5bnur
- Counter argument for why African-Americans cannot appropriate African culture - https://thsppl.com/claiming-what-s-ours-on-black-americans-and-cultural-appropriation-ceb7ec3fa4ae#.dioaeiz61
- Invisibilia Episode with Hasan Minahj - http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/484359511/frame-of-reference
- Solange’s A Seat at the Table
- Yaa Gyasi’s Homegoing
- Marvel + Netflix’s Luke Cage
- Ava DuVernay & OWN’s Queen Sugar
- Alexa von Tobel’s Financially Fearless
- Holy Trinity Brompton/Church of England’s Alpha Course
- Tony Morrision’s God Help the Child
- deVolkskrant’s interview with Chimamanda Adichie about the differences between her feminism and Beyoncé’s
- Brian C Bush’s articles on The Grio and HuffPo Black Voices
- Nir Eyal’s Hooked