Postal Affairs Podcast
About This Show
Satori's full suite of mailing and direct marketing software, integrated solutions and hosted data services help you streamline operations—from data enrichment to presort to process automation with Satori IGNITE—and everything in between.
Most Recent Episode
Postal Affairs with @BobSchimek: @USPS Informed Delivery & @FedEx contract | March 13th, 2017
4 days ago
Director of Postal Affairs, Bob Schimek elaborates on the latest developments with the United States Postal Service:
USPS Files January Financial Numbers:
· USPS had an operating income of $42M while in the black, the plan was $263M and the previous year was $293M
· After non-controllable expenses and unfunded liabilities the USPS reported a loss of $245M for the month
· Key concern: Controllable expenses were above plan by 3% and above SPLY by 5.1%
o January work hours were 3.7% above plan and up 4.2% over SPLY
· Total Mail volume was down 0.4% below SPLY and revenues were up 0.6% over SPLY
· Good news story continues to be Packages: Volume was up 14.5% over SPLY and Revenue was up 17.4% over SPLY
OIG Looks at USPS Officer Travel:
· USPS has identified 50 positions as Postal Career Executive Service
· Includes PMG, DPMG, and all the USPS VP’s.
· These officers shape the strategic direction of the USPS by setting goals, targets, and indicators
· OIG was looking to ensure their travel was properly supported and complied with Postal policies and procedures
· In FY 2016 there were 1,006 travel reimbursement requests totaling ~$948,000
· OIG reviewed 69 totaling $165,000
· In general the travel did comply with policies and procedures, but 3 items were identified
o Officers did not always obtain approval for travel deviations
o Credit Card Coordinators did not review balance refunds in cases
o Corporate Accounting did not review Sloan Fellow travel reimbursement requests before payment.
USPS Informed Delivery Going Nationwide:
· USPS is stating by late April it should be available nationwide.
· It will be rolled out in major metropolitan areas first.
· Anyone interested can use the ZIP Code Lookup feature at informeddelivery.usps.com to see if it is available for you.
· Site also include signup instructions.
USPS Q1 Service Performance:
· USPS publishes their service performance numbers on their website, but publishes more detailed numbers with the PRC
· Better than SPLY, but still below targets.
· With Q1 being the heavy mailing season, all service performance for First Class was lower than the previous quarter.
· USPS also failed to meet any service performance target in First Class mail.
· Periodicals also failed to hit all service performance targets.