Postal Affairs Podcast
About This Show
Satori's full suite of mailing and direct marketing software, integrated solutions and hosted data services help you streamline operations—from data enrichment to presort to process automation with Satori IGNITE—and everything in between.
Most Recent Episode
Postal Affairs with Bob Schimek: USPS Pulls out of Staples | January 17th, 2017
3 days ago
USPS Pulls out of Staples:
• Amid an unfavorable ruling from the National Labor Relations Board, the USPS will end it’s relationship with Staples
• This has been a 3 year battle with the APWU with them protesting outside of and boycotting Staples stores
• USPS has stated that sales of postal services in Staples stores will end in the next two months
• Over 500 stores will be dropped from the program
o While the unions declare this a victory by preventing Staples or other companies from having full blown post offices
o These same 500 stores will now be offering shipping services by UPS and not the USPS.
• The Union’s main issue is that these locations are not staffed by Union Postal Employees
• While some see this making perfect sense to offer postal services at customer convenient locations
o The Unions declared this the privatization of the Postal Service
• Previous PMG noted it is an example of the narrow, near-sighted view winning over the broader, long-term strategy
• APWU has called off their boycott of Staples effective immediately.
FedEx Signs deal with Walgreens:
• 8,000 Walgreen stores will now serve as points of delivery service.
• Includes both drop off and pickup of prepackage and prelabeled parcels
• Benefit of such services is that shippers can leave a package when someone isn't home to accept it
• Lowers the number of failed delivery attempts, which are costly to the likes of FedEx and UPS and create backlogs
OIG Report on USPS Non-Career Employees:
• In Fiscal Year 2016, the U.S. Postal Service employed an average of about 130,000 noncareer employees
o These employees provide the USPS to have a flexible workforce and do not receive full employee benefits and privileges
o Used to supplement its regular workforce (such as over the holidays) and reduce staffing costs (such as paying overtime).
• However, non-career employee turnover cost the Postal Service about $95.1 million to hire and on-board in FY2015.
• The average turnover for the 4 non-career crafts was 42.7%
• OIG recommending the USPS develop a recruitment and retention strategy.
o If the USPS could lower turnover to the National Performance Assessment Goal of 34.8%, it would save the USPS $23M
What is the most endangered job in the country?
• Apparently mail carriers…
• According to careercast.com survey that looked at US Dept of Labor statistics to determine careers with the lowest career growth.
• US Dept of Labor expects to