Postal Affairs Podcast
About This Show
Satori's full suite of mailing and direct marketing software, integrated solutions and hosted data services help you streamline operations—from data enrichment to presort to process automation with Satori IGNITE—and everything in between.
Most Recent Episode
Postal Affairs with Bob Schimek: USPS Fiscal Year 2017 and 2016 performance review. | December 5th
6 days ago
Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick…
• Only 4 days… This Thursday, Dec 8th is the last day for the final Board of Governor
• James Bilbray will be officially done.
• Likely the final board meeting being held with James Bilbray on Dec 5th and 6th.
o Monday includes: Strategic Issues, Financial Matters, Pricing, and Personnel Matters and Compensation Issues
o Tuesday include: Discussion of prior agenda items and Board Governance
USPS starts FY 17 in the Black:
• October is first month of the 2017 Fiscal Year
• USPS Earned $504M (with a controllable operating net income of $400M)
• Total Mail Volume was up 1.1% SPLY
• Revenue was down 0.7% SPLY ($6.225B) (Exigency roll off)
• Shipping Services Volume was up 9.0% SPLY and revenue up 11.4% SPLY
• USPS received a Worker Comp Adjustment of $490M
• USPS added several new lines to their income statement:
o RHB Unfunded Liabilities Amortization: $245M
o FERS UnFunded Liabilities Amortization: $21M
o CSRS Unfunded Liabilities Amortization: $103M
o These are all estimates, Actual bills will be received between June and October 2017)
• Workhours were 0.3% below SPLY
USPS Files Q4 2016 Service Performance Results with the PRC
• Included both the new proposed internal system and the current external 3rd party system.
• PRC is having the USPS run both for an unspecified period of time
• USPS reported that the new systems still has some “hiccups”
o System wide issues impacted two days of flat tracking across all classes of mail.
o There were also some system issues where certain locations and dates had very little data.
o Some year-to-date results are still being calculated manually (which will be automated by FY17 results)
o Laundry list of other items.
• USPS continues to stress that comparisons between the two systems may not be possible.
• Q4 Results from the new system were based on $23.3 Billion Mail Pieces
• Statistically Significant Differences were reported for
o FC Overnight, FC Flats, All of PER, All of STD Mail (except HD & SAT Flats)
PRC Elected Mark Acton to serve as Vice-Chair of the PRC for 2017
• Nanci Langley is currently serving as the Vice-Chair for 2016
USPS Provides PRC with more information on “Pinch Points”:
• This all ties back to the USPS 2015 ACD
• PRC asked the USPS to provide written method to measure, track and record the cost and service performance issues for each of the 6 “pinch points” that were identified relat